"If you want your ribs to stay intact you won't talk to, look at, or go near my intern. Hear me?" And Stark stalked out. Steve shared a wide-eyed look with Clint, the only other person in the room.

"Yes," the archer answered the unspoken question. "He did just threaten you with bodily harm. I think I'd stay away from the kid if I were you - I'm not sure how Tony'd win a fight against you but I wouldn't risk it."

~

Steve woke late one morning and followed the sound of voices to the kitchen. When he entered, everyone was staring at the far door in confusion. All of his teammates who'd been against the accords, and Rhodey.

"Oh, good morning," Wanda was the first to notice him.

"That was weird, right?" Clint questioned. Sam nodded.

"What happened?"

"I'm not sure," Wanda gazed back at the door. "Peter - that's Stark's intern, I've talked to him a couple of times now - was just in here grabbing a drink and he said hi and was having a conversation with us about... um..."

"He was kinda rambling but I think it was about Tony's robots?" Clint offered.

"Right. Then he just stopped talking and walked out? And a few seconds later you came in."

"You guys have talked to him?"

"Yeah? He's around so much it would kind of be hard not to. He's weird, but a nice kid. I can see why Stark keeps him around."

"Odd. I've never even seen him." Was this 'Peter' avoiding him? Had Tony told him to? Why would he trust the rest of the Avengers with his intern but not Steve? "Maybe I should go looking for him, figure out whatever's going on." He started walking towards the door but Rhodey finally spoke up.

"I wouldn't do that, Steve. If the kid doesn't want to talk to you, don't chase him. Not unless you'd like to spend a week in the sickbay."

The colonel went back to sipping his coffee like he hadn't outright threatened Captain America, and didn't seem to notice the shocked looks traded by the so-called 'Rogues'. They'd come to expect that sort of talk from Tony, but Rhodes? What exactly was their problem with Steve, and what did Peter have to do with it?

~

The Avengers met Spider-Man for the second time whilst defending New York from a robot invasion. Given the side he had chosen when the team had been split up, Steve hadn't expected friendliness from the vigilante but he remembered enough of the young hero's talkative nature that he was surprised by the cold treatment he received during the few times they interacted.

When the robots had been defeated, Steve tried to go after Spider-Man. He called his code name, but the man didn't respond, only started swinging away with a brief farewell to Tony. Steve kept talking, knowing the vigilante had enhancements that meant he would still be able to hear. "Please, I just want to talk. You could be a useful addition to-"

Iron Man slammed down in front of Steve.

"Stop talking, Captain. My father made that shield so I'd hate to see your blood all over it, but if you don't leave Spider-Man alone I'll have to crack out the bleach. I've told you before and I won't tell you again. Understood?"

Steve could only nod, eyebrows raised. His voice did not tremble when he called for the Avengers to regroup.

~

Steve saw Peter for the first time almost a month after the rest of the Avengers started speaking to the intern regularly. He walked into the common room and was immediately on edge when he saw a stranger stood by the coffee machine, waiting for it to finish its cycle. It took him a moment to match the boy's appearance to the description his teammates had given of Peter. He smiled. This was his chance to finally speak to the boy.