The Love God

"Ugh, that guy..." Gideon groaned, looking at a poster on display.

"What? Who?" Mabel looked over from the pet shop window.

"The Love God is coming for Woodstick. I better avoid him this year." Gideon looked away from it.

"The Love God? What, is he a singer?" Mabel asked.

"Singer, guitarist, cupid." Gideon groaned. "Every time he comes, it's kiss-city around here. People that don't even know each other start to date and are madly in love. It goes against the natural order of attraction but, because he's the literal Cupid, he doesn't care and is immune to any magical consequences."

"So...why do you have to avoid him?" Mabel asked.

"Because he annoys me and I hexed him last year. He might still be mad about it." Gideon shrugged. "He kept telling me that when I got older, he'd 'get me a nice girl'. No thanks, I found my own all by myself, creep." He made a face.

"Woodstick is this weekend?" Mabel looked at the poster.

"Mmhm. I generally don't go, it tends to get rowdy." He looked at her. "Why, did you want to go?"

"Wendy and the others are going. I thought it might be fun." She looked at him. "Why don't you come? You can show me off to The Love God." She grinned.

He sighed. "I just said I wanted to avoid him, but I'm guessing you want to meet him? I may as well go, if only to protect you from being paired off with someone else by his love potion."

"Do you think he could find someone for Robbie?" Mabel asked.

"Uh...I think Robbie needs time to recover from his broken heart before he moves on to someone else." Gideon shook his head.

"But, he's so miserable! He needs someone to love him!" Mabel declared. "I bet I could suggest someone!"

"Mabel, he does not need romance right now. He needs support from his friends and to heal. And using a love potion on him is just asking for trouble. Children born of relationships from love potions are said to be messed up in the head." Gideon grabbed her arms and turned her to face him. "Promise me that you will not try to convince him to help find Robbie a girlfriend?"

Mabel sighed. "...Does it have to be a promise?"

"Mabel." Gideon pleaded.

"...Okay, alright. I promise." She kissed him and then took his hand. "Come on, let's go! We still have to buy that stuff for Stan!"

"So, let me get this straight. There is going to be a literal God of Love in town, mating random people together?" Bill groaned. "Why is that even a thing? WHY? What IS it with you one-lifespan creatures and MATING?!"

"When is he getting here?" Tyrone asked. It was a nice day, so he'd volunteered to help with the balloon.

"You'll know when he arrives." Gideon sighed. "There will be kissing all over the place, worth than Valentine's Day or New Year's Eve."

"And you hexed him before?" Bill asked. "What'd you do?"

"I...made it so none of his spells or potions had any effect for the rest of the day." Gideon shrugged.

"Oh boy, that must've pissed him off." Stan cringed.

"Oh yeah." Gideon nodded. "He chased me into the woods and the fairies had to chase him out."

"Does he hold grudges?" Bill asked.

"I'm not sure. He is immortal, though, so who knows?" Gideon sighed. "I suppose I should start off with apologizing for my prank."