Pool

The pool was understandably crowded when they arrived and it looked like Wendy had secured a job for the day as a lifeguard and was chatting it up with Robbie, who looked like he was only there because Wendy persuaded him to come swimming. He was sans hoodie and ducked down in the water in one of the shaded areas to escape the sun and looking miserable.

"Okay, let's go swimming!" Mabel said, braiding her hair as she walked. "Gideon, can you help me with my sunscreen? I'll help with yours."

"Aww, the cutest couple is here! Hey, guys!" Wendy greeted as they approached. "Whoa. You got him out of the suit!" She pointed at Bill.

"Hi, Wendy!" Dipper said with a big smile.

"Can you NOT point me out?" Bill asked, crossing his arms over his chest. "Geez, you humans and your fascination with...anything. Usually it's not a problem for me, I'm not usually affected, but geeeeeeeeez...."

"Oh, just get in the water." Stan laughed, playfully shoving him towards it.

"A curse on your TV tonight." Bill said, glaring at him.

"Stop being such a sourpuss. If you're not going to swim, at least help me set up the chairs." Stan said, setting the lawn chairs down.

"You know, people wouldn't see the markings if you were in the water." Wendy suggested helpfully. "I personally think they're awesome."

Bill sighed and went to help Stan. "I'm surprised you're not in the water."

"We need a place to set our stuff." Stan shrugged.

"Back in the trailer?" Bill suggested.

"I'll get in the water in a bit. I think Dipper wants to go in now, can you help him with his sunscreen?" Stan indicated the excited child.

"Alright." Bill grabbed one of the bottles they'd bought and went over to Dipper. "Uh, how do you use this thing." He read the back. "'Apply generously'...okay." He opened it and squirted some out before starting to apply it to Dipper's skin.

"Ohh, that's cold!" Dipper squirmed.

"Calm down, Pine Tree. I don't want you to get burned." Bill smirked a bit.

--

Mabel and Gideon had already finished with their sunscreen and had entered the water. Mabel looked around and then back at him. "I don't see Pacifica."

"Their family is 'above the common pool'. She's probably soaking up the rays by their private one." Gideon shrugged.

"I guess you're right. Hey, whoa, who's that?" Mabel noticed a dark-skinned stranger nestled in the water away from everyone else.

"No idea." Gideon frowned. "I've never seen him before. Oh, but look over at the pool jail." He tapped her shoulder and pointed.

"Uh, why is there a kid behind bars?" Mabel asked.

"Because he's in jail." Gideon leaned in closer. "That's the siren." He whispered.

Mabel gasped. "The one you told Dipper about?"

Gideon nodded.

"Whoa. He looks so...human." Mabel tilted her head thoughtfully, then looked back at the stranger. "Do you think he's also a siren?"

"I'm not getting any danger vibes from him, but if he was we'd have heard of people going missing or being found dead by the pool by now." Gideon shrugged, then thought 'At least, I would've.'

"I'm gonna go talk to him." She swam over, Gideon following close behind. Once she got close, she dove underwater and then came up next to him. "Hi!"

He jolted. "H-How long were you under there?" He moved the kickboard in front of him a bit.

"Not long. Don't worry, I didn't see anything. WAS there anything to see? Should I look again?" Mabel leaned in closer. "Tell me your name, beautiful stranger."

"My name is...Armando." He said, nervously fidgeting with his necklace.

"Armando, or MERmando?" Mabel said in a hushed voice. "It's okay, I won't tell anyone."

"Tell anyone what?" He asked.

"Nothing, what's there to tell?" She gave him a knowing wink.

"You are...strange." "Armando" said, shifting to the side a bit.

"Sorry, I got overexcited." Mabel moved closer to him again. "I'm Mabel. How long have you been in town?"

"I...lost count of the number of times the sun has risen and set." Armando looked to the side, his gaze distant. "I am far from my home, and cannot return."

"Are you exiled?" Gideon asked, moving closer to them.

"No, no. I just...cannot return. Not by my own power, at least." Armando shook his head. "I cannot tell you anything more with so many people around. Perhaps if you were to return tonight..."

"Sure!" Mabel smiled.

"We'll come and see you." Gideon nodded. "We'll leave you alone for now, though. I think this area is too deep for her brother and he's looking like he wants to come in."

"I understand." Armando nodded.

Gideon led Mabel back to the shallower part of the pool. "I think you might've been close. He's certainly not human." He said in a quiet voice. "But he's not a siren. Let's hear his story and see if we can help him."

"Yes!" Mabel nodded enthusiastically.

"Mabel!" Dipper climbed into the water with Bill's help and then Bill climbed in after him. "Who was the guy?"

"Just a guy we were talking with." Mabel moved closer to Dipper and hugged him. "Welcome to the water, little bro! And look, Bill, no one's gawking."

"I still feel exposed." Bill rubbed at his arms.

"The markings go all the way to your shoulders and down your arms and even down your legs to your ankles. No wonder you wear a suit and gloves all the time." Gideon looked thoughtful. "What are the markings?"

"Just part of what I am." Bill shrugged. "I don't usually use this form, though, so people don't usually see them like this." He reached up to his earring. "This is my true form, remember?"

"The Dorito King." Dipper said in a sagely voice.

"No, no, I'm not." Bill chuckled. "HE'S the reason I'm using this form."

"I know." Gideon nodded. "So, it's not a brand or anything? Why hide it?"

"It's just different. Humans tend to freak out about different." Bill shrugged.

"Not in Gravity Falls. Not usually." Gideon shook his head.

"Candy, Grenda!" Mabel got distracted and went to greet her friends. "You're here at the pool!"

"Mabel!" They hugged her, and then Grenda looked over. "I gotta say, Bill looks h-o-t without his suit, you know what I'm saying?" She nudged the other two with a grin.

"You think he looks hot all the time." Mabel laughed.

"Guilty!" Grenda held up her hand and laughed.

Mabel and Candy laughed and then Mabel looked over at Armando, who was lower in the water than before and looking melancholy. She couldn't help but feel pity for him, the poor guy.