Golf

Pacifica shifted her weight from one foot to the other, her small hands tight around an envelope. Her driver gave her a pitying look and knocked on the wooden door in front of them.

"Yes, coming!" A voice said, and then Mabel opened the door and look out at them. "Oh, Pacifica! What a surprise!"

"My parents...wanted me to give this to you." Pacifica held out the envelope.

"What is it?" Mabel asked, taking the envelope. "And why not just mail it?"

"My parents wanted me to hand-deliver it, as penance for running off a couple days ago. Uhm, how's Dipper doing?" Pacifica asked.

"He's doing okay, resting right now. We've been giving him plenty of medicine and fluids." Mabel opened the envelope. "It's a...challenge?"

"My parents require only the best in their family – they can't help Bud, he snuck his way in. So, if you're going to be part of the family someday by marrying Gideon, they want you to prove your worth by going against me in a mini-golf competition." Pacifica said, looking to the side a bit.

Mabel frowned. "Golf, huh..."

"You don't play?" Pacifica asked, looking at her.

"Oh, I play! I've won trophies at mini-golf competitions!" Mabel grinned at her, then looked at the envelope. "I'm just so mad at your family for insisting I have to 'prove my worth'! Like they can actually break us up? Gideon wouldn't let them."

"Well, it would cause less contention if you did, but...I understand if you don't want to." Pacifica turned to go.

"Hey, who said I wasn't going to? I'm gonna do it and win! And you don't have to go easy on me, either." Mabel walked over and extended her hand, Pacifica turning back to face her. "May the best golfer win!"

"See you this weekend." Pacifica smiled and shook her hand. "Tell everyone I said hi." She turned to go back to the car again.

"See you then!" Mabel waved and then went back in to tell everyone the news.

"This is really tame compared to the mini-golf parks I've seen." Bill commented as they stepped into the park.

"What are those like?" Mabel asked.

"Well...a lot more dangerous, for one thing. Like a mini-golf Globnar." Bill chuckled.

"What's a Globnar?" Dipper asked.

"Uh, nevermind. It's not important." Bill waved it off. "Just multiverse stuff."

"Come on, tell me." Mabel tugged on his sleeve.

"Oookay. It's, uh, a gladiator thing. Like they did in Rome. 'Cept all the gladiators are criminals." Bill chuckled a bit. "My time in Globnar was interesting."

"I never had to do any Globnar." Stan commented, looking around for the Northwests. "Hardly anyone here."

"My parents have reserved the park for us." Pacifica said, approaching with her parents and golfing coach. "Are you ready, Mabel?"

Mabel nodded firmly, taking her golf bag off her back. "I'm ready."

"Good luck, Mabel!" Dipper cheered, watching her walk off with the Northwests.

"Come on, let's go watch over here." Stan said, leading the other two to a viewpoint.

"Do you think she'll win?" Dipper asked.

"Do you think it'll matter?" Bill leaned on the railing. "Gideon would be pissed if he knew about this. Where is he, anyway?"

"He's doing something with his dad today." Stan shrugged. "I did ask if he wanted to go golfing with us."