Distraction

"But, why do you need a distraction?" Dipper asked.

"I just do, okay? I can't tell you, Gideon would find out if he reads your minds for any reason." Mabel said firmly. "Come on, go find something amazing, take pictures, write it in the Journal!"

"She's really adamant about getting us out of here." Stan remarked as he walked out with Dipper and Bill. "So...to Gideon's?"

"I wanna ask about how the peace meeting went!" Dipper beamed and headed for the car.

"You want to go into the woods and see monsters that you found in the Journal?" Gideon asked.

"Uh-huh! And you know the woods best!" Dipper nodded enthusiastically, opening up the 3rd Journal. "We can see the Gremoblin and the Kill-Billy and the--"

"Hold on, the what?" Gideon took the book and looked at the page he was looking at. "...I don't think this guy has ever had a name before."

"What did you call it, then?" Stan asked.

"Vampire thief." Gideon shrugged.

"Well, I bet they don't sparkle." Dipper nodded firmly.

Gideon raised an eyebrow and shook his head. "No, they don't."

"Anyways, you know the woods best!" Dipper repeated. "So, can you show us around?"

Gideon looked at the group. "...Where's Mabel?"

"She and Pacifica are doing a girl's day out thing." Bill grinned. "So, we figured we'd take you along with us into the woods!"

Gideon sighed and handed the book back before turning to his bookshelf. "Alright, fine. But I'm bringing a few tomes. Things are really tense right now with the recent conflict and we might need to protect ourselves. This one has a healing spell." He picked one out.

"Why not bring the second Journal?" Bill asked.

"The second Journal has no defensive spells and I know enough offensive ones by heart to protect us if need be." Gideon said, handing Bill the tome. "Here, carry this."

"What's the difference between fairies and barf fairies?" Dipper asked.

"Barf fairies are what happens when a gnome and a fairy mate." Gideon told him. "The clash in their DNA is so drastic it gives them all horrible cases of indigestion just by existing."

"...That sounds like a horrifying existence." Bill said as the others looked at Gideon in horror.

"It is, and the fairies try not to drink with gnomes if they can help it for this reason. Fairies are very fertile and--"

"What's drinking with gnomes got to do with anything?" Dipper asked while Stan and Bill both went "WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAA!"

"Okay, Gids, I know that you are wise beyond your years and know all about this stuff from it, but let's not tell Pine Tree about it, okay?" Bill said, placing a hand on Gideon's shoulder. "And you're honestly too young to know this stuff."

Gideon shrugged. "I learned pretty early on, but that's what happens when you can read minds and can't control it." He touched his amulet. "Thank goodness for this, right?"

"Yeah, I'll say." Stan nodded. "So, we going?"

"Alright, just a moment. If we're going into the woods, I have to dress for it. There's a lot of dangerous things, so we'll want to blend in. Did anyone bring green or brown clothes?" Gideon went to his dresser.

"Why do we need to blend in?" Dipper asked.

"I just said that things were tense. Outsiders to the woods might get attacked just to let off steam; it's not even safe for me right now. Every time there's a turf war, everyone gets involved or they get out of the way. And with the Manotaurs upset, well, let's just say that they didn't get their way during the meeting." Gideon went to his bathroom with a change of clothes.