Chapter 83 - Father and Daughter

Start from the beginning

He stared down into the sink basin again as the last of the water dripped off his skin until a voice called out, "Leave me alone, Malfoy!"

Draco whirled around with a hateful sneer as he found himself face to face with.......

"What are you doing here Snape?!" He exclaimed. His eyes narrowed as he shouted, "You must be lost......This is a boys' lavatory!"

"I know exactly where I am, thanks." Harriet said as she withdrew her wand from her pocket and pointed it at him threateningly, "And I know exactly what you are.....You're just like them, all the others, aren't you? Leave me alone, Malfoy. No more staring, no more talking, I meant what I said before! Leave me alone!"

Draco scoffed as she narrowed her eyes, "You don't have to worry about me for too long, Snape. I'll be dead by the end of the school year."

It gave him courage to watch her harsh scowl soften as he spoke those terrible words.

"I trust that then you and your secret lover can get on with your lives, eh? Don't worry I won't weigh the two of you down." Draco nodded with a bitter smile.

"What are you talking about?!" Harriet demanded. She kept her wand pointed at him as she pressed,  ".............Are you ill?"

"No." Draco smiled. He slyly covered up the true cause of his plight with a roundabout truth, "I'm just not as brazen as you."

Harriet lowered her wand slowly as she nodded and repeated, ".............Stay away from me, Malfoy. I won't hold back next time."

As Harriet turned and left the bathroom, Draco collapsed into a bitter pile of self-loathing.

He couldn't help but welcome the idea of death as he found himself outcast and rejected from his darling in the utmost way.

Draco had imagined it may have been Ron Weasley or Viktor Krum to steal his sweetheart away.

He smirked as he thought.

Not for a single moment had he anticipated losing his darling to some boy in a cave.

—————————————————————

During the hour before dinner, Lily sighed as she glanced at Severus while they cleaned the Potions classroom from the day's use.

"Did you see the two of them this afternoon?" Lily asked.

"It was rather impossible not to notice after Harriet's unnecessary display." Severus quipped.

".......Will you do it then, Sev?" She asked quietly.

"Do I really have a choice in the matter?" Severus whispered.

Lily looked up with a frown to meet Severus's black stare.

"..........My vow to you remains unchanged, my love." Severus nodded, "I will do what it takes, whatever it takes, to ensure the survival of our family. I have no believable reason to refuse Narcissa's request."

Lily's face wrinkled into a morose frown as she stepped forward and placed her hand upon Severus's cheek.

She whispered, "Dumbledore......"

".........Is already a dying man." Severus answered as he turned his face to press his lips against Lily's fingers.

"Then it's true?" Lily frowned.

Severus nodded as he closed his eyes for a brief moment until they opened to connect with Lily's gaze once more.

"Yes, my love............His latest hunt resulted only in bitter failure and incurable injury." Severus sighed.