Twenty Three

We made it to Hilltop faster than I expected and when the gates opened, I saw Maggie standing there with a smile on her face before she started crying, I rushed over to her and we shared a long hug as we cried together. We pulled away from one another, "I'm okay, the baby's okay." I nod before glancing back at Daryl, he wouldn't look in Maggie's direction which I thought was odd but I didn't think anymore about it. Sasha chuckled softly when she saw me, she hugged me quickly, "How?" I shook my head, "He's in Alexandria right now, he had Carl." Maggie gasped softly, "Is he alright?" I sighed, "I don't know."

Gregory let us stay in one of the rooms in hilltop mansion, so I waited for him to go away before I closed the door and sighed. Daryl was standing by the window, staring out at the people roaming around. I put my hand on his shoulder and he shoved it off, "Don't." I gulped as I stepped back, "Okay." I responded softly. He turned around and looked me over, "I'm sorry, I just-" I shook my head, "It's alright, take your time." I go to the door, "I'm going to go talk to Maggie, just don't.... Do anything stupid." He scoffed as he looked back out the window so I closed the door behind me and headed toward Maggie and Jesus.

We sat at a picnic table in front of the trailers, it was quiet for a few minutes before Jesus said, "How did you get him out of there? I heard them talking amongst themselves before Negan left for Alexandria, they were suppose to watch you and Daryl like a hawk." I scoffed, "None of them actually pay attention to anything there if he isn't around. I stole two sets of keys, slid one under his cell door, went outside and waited for what felt like an eternity." He nodded, "Yeah, I heard that Joey guy trying to put some moves on you, it was agonizing to watch." I forced a smile, "Yeah." Maggie leaned closer to me, "What did he do to you guys?" I went to answer but put my face in my hands and cried instead. They both patted my back before I got myself together and sat back up, "They treated Daryl like a slave and Negan made me agree to be one his wives or he'd kill him so I did it. It was agonizing watching him be treated like he was nothing day after day and I was made to watch and I couldn't say anything about it or they'd kill him, I-" I stopped to cry again before Maggie said, "I would've done the same thing for... Glenn." I looked into her eyes and I saw all the sadness she was trying to hide, "I'm so sorry." She shook her head, "It's not your fault, don't be sorry." She patted my back again, "How is Daryl dealing with all of this?" I shrugged, "He'll barely look at me, I don't blame him. I slept with another man so I don't expect us to continue being 'us' after he comes back from this. I just hope he'll at least forgive me and see why I thought I had to do it." Jesus sighed, "You didn't think, you knew, there's a difference and he'll see that in time." I nod as I wipe away the tears, "Yeah, I hope so." Enid comes up to us and smiles at me, "Hi, Josie." I force a smile back, "Hi, Enid." Maggie basically waves her away before she says, "I'm about to make something for lunch, if you want to come by and eat, we're right there." She points to her place and I just nod as she gets up and walks away.

I sigh before looking at Jesus, "What am I going to do if he doesn't come back to me?" He gave me a look of sympathy, "He will." He moved closer and lowered his voice, "You remember that night him and Rick brought me back to Alexandria and they locked me in that room you guys called a cell?" I nod as he continues, "I heard Rick and him talking from the other side of that door and all Daryl was worried about that night was keeping you safe, he'll come back to you, give him time." I nod, "I will." I immediately decided I was going to just keep my distance and wait for him to come to me, no matter how hard I knew it'd be.

I kept myself busy for the next couple hours helping Jesus do some repairs or gathering produce. Maggie was standing guard by the gate when she smiled down at us, "Open the gates!" Jesus rushed over and opened them, I felt Daryl's presence as he stood beside me, looking like he was prepared to fight anything that came through. I was happy when I saw it was Rick and the rest of the group walking through the gates. Rick rushed over to Daryl as soon as he saw him and they shared a sweet long hug as Michonne and Carl rushed to me. Rick pulled away and went straight for me, "I'm sorry." He shook his head and he pulled me in for a tight hug, "Don't be, you did what you had to do." He pulls away and my lip quivered as I nodded.