Fifteen

**If you've gotten this far, sorry for all the filler content, I'm just trying to stretch some things out before we get back to the nitty gritty stuff**

I let Sarah do my make up and she actually did a really good job. I felt pretty for the first time in a while when I glanced in the mirror, she was somehow able to curl my hair a bit without styling products which impressed me quite a bit. I was about to head out before she stopped me, "Wait, I want you to have this." She handed me a longish red dress with spaghetti straps and a long slit on the side, I shook my head, "Oh no, I'd be way overdressed." She chuckled, "No you won't, you'll most likely be the only one with makeup on but you won't be the only one with a dress on, here. I have a pair of heels in the closet if you want them." I accepted to be nice before heading back home.

I was surprised when I got closer to the house and saw Daryl sitting on the swing in the dark. I stopped at the top of the stairs, "How long have you've been back?" I ask, he sets his bow down next to him, "A few hours, probably, I wasn't keeping track of the time." I smirk, "Deanna's having a welcome party for us if you want to go." He nodded, "I know, Aaron told me about it. I don't think I'm gonna go." I nod, "Alright, I figured. I'm gonna go throw this dress on and head down there. You better not make fun of me if I fall in these damn heels." He chuckled, "Heels?" I shrugged, "They'd look better than boots." He leaned back as I stepped inside and closed the door. I went to the bathroom and changed into the dress and heels before looking at myself in the mirror. I was almost in awe when I saw myself because I looked like somebody else, I haven't seen who was looking back at me in that mirror in a long time.

I practiced walking in the heels on the tile a few times before feeling comfortable enough to wear them. I stepped out the front door and sighed before I glanced at Daryl, "I'll see you later, I guess." He just nodded as I went down the porch steps, I heard him get up quickly before he put his hand on mine, "I'll try." I knew exactly what he meant so I just nodded and made my way to Deanna's.

The heels were already killing me halfway there and it wasn't even that far from the house. I knocked on her door and was greeted by Reg, Deanna's husband, "Ah, Josie, welcome. Come on in." He stepped out of the way as I smiled shyly and stepped in the house. I looked around for a moment before I spotted Glenn, I beelined straight for him. He looked away from the guy he was talking to and smiled, "Hey, Josie. You look nice." I look down at the dress before making a disgusted face, "Thanks." He chuckled before glancing behind me, "He wouldn't come." I shook my head, "He said he'd try." He nodded before Deanna approached us, "Wow, Miss. Melvin, you clean up beautifully. Sarah must've gotten ahold of you." I chuckle softly, "Yeah, I couldn't say no to her." She laughed as she took a bottle from the table behind her, "Here, it's a knock off champagne." I declined with my hand, "Do you have beer? I don't like champagne." She looked surprised but nodded before grabbing another bottle and handing it to me, I opened it quickly before taking a few gulps and looking around nervously at all the people just chatting amongst themselves. I saw the whole group was here except for Daryl which made me a little sad but I understood plus I need to learn not to have to lean on other people for comfort anyways. Deanna snapped me back to reality, "Well, come on, let's introduce you to everyone." I nod as I follow her.

Everything went by in a blur as she introduced me to a whole bunch of random ass people, my social anxiety, from before the outbreak happened, was in a full swing. I had to keep myself from panicking a few times before Maggie noticed and approached me, "Hey, Rick wanted me to bring you over." She looked at Deanna and smiled before taking me to the less crowded side of the house, "What does Rick want?" We stopped before she leaned against the wall beside me, "Nothing, I could tell you didn't want to be there." I smirk, "Thanks." I stared down at the bottle in my hand as I sloshed the beer around in circles, "You think we could actually be normal again?" She shrugged, "I hope so, it's kinda nice not having to fight for my life every waking moment." I nod, "Yeah." I set my beer down on the table beside us, "I'm gonna head out, I've had enough social interaction for the rest of my life." She laughed softly, "Alright well you made it an hour so consider that an accomplishment, I'll tell Deanna you were tired." I nod before I pull her in for hug, "Thank you." We pulled away before she nodded and walked away. I stepped out the front door and sighed with my back to the door, I closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath before kicking off the heels, picking them up and carrying them back home.