Thirty Three

Tara, Michonne and I slammed the girl down into a chair down in the cell area of Hilltop. "No more bullshit." Michonne says. Michonne doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with her so I stepped up, "How many of you guys are there? Why are you still lying to us knowing that we could just kill you right now? Are you really this stupid?" She looks up into my eyes and I see right through her mud drenched angry facial expression, she was trying to act tough but I could tell she was almost relieved, so I ask, "Wait, were they keeping you hostage?" Her expression softens but she says nothing so I pretend to walk away before turning back around quickly and slapping her across the face as hard as I could, "Answer the fucking questions!" I feel arms wrap around me before Daryl rushes me out of the room, he forces me up the stairs as Tara and Michonne throw the girl in the cell.

Daryl shoves me against the wall once we get out of the cellar, "What the fuck is wrong with you?" I scoff, "What the fuck is wrong with you?" He exhaled sharply as he glared at me, "She's a kid, Jo." I rolled my eyes, "If she can roam around and kill people dressed up as a fuckin walker, she can handle being slapped." He sighed, "I guess you're right but don't do that shit." I go to say something but Tara and Michonne come out, "You guys can stay here." I nod before I walk off, Daryl stops me once I got far enough away from Michonne and Tara, "You can't be violent for no reason like that." I scoff, "Thats rich coming from you." He sighs in frustration, "God you're so annoying." I smirk, "Thats also rich coming from you." He shook his head before walking off to sit with Henry. I went to help the others with digging a hole for Jesus's grave.

Once we ate dinner and it was dark enough out, Daryl made his way above the barn nearest to the front gate, I looked around in confusion as he brought Dog up with us. I rolled my eyes as I saw he already had two sleeping bags set up, "Really? You actually want to sleep up here?" He looks at me like I'm the weirdo, "What? Dog chose it." I sat next to him and as I crossed my legs, he looked me over with a sad expression before inhaling deeply through his nose, "I have to tell you something." I immediately get nervous because I felt like I knew what was coming, "Okay." He closes his eyes before looking at the ground in front of him, "You ever wondered how I got Dog?" I glanced at the dog and then back at him, "Kinda yeah." He took a deep breath, "Well, after I left this last time to look for Rick, I came across a cabin in the woods and there was a woman living there with Dog." My heart sank as I glanced at the dog but I said nothing, I just stared at the ground, contemplating jumping off as he continued, "Long story short, we spent a lot of time together and parted ways a few months ago." I locked eyes with him and swallowed the hurt, "How long were two spending time together?" He gulped, "On and off for about 18 months." I nod slowly, "So when you were leaving randomly from Alexandria, you were going to be with her?" He nods, "Yes but not like you think, we never did anything intimate." I locked eyes with him once again, "Would you have if she tried too?" He sighed, "Honestly, no. I only gave her a chance because I wanted to know if we were together because of our situation or because we really want to be with each other so I took the chance to get to know someone else like that just to see and I figured out I actually do love you." I held back the tears, "You aren't in love with me anymore?" He shook his head quickly and put his hand on my shoulder, "No, I am. I just needed time away to figure it out. I know it sounds shitty but I just didn't know if we ended up together because of no other options or not, I had to be sure." I tried to swallow my anger, "Let me get this straight; you're trying to justify stepping out on me because you weren't sure if we're suppose to end up together or not? So you were testing out your options? Can you imagine if I told you this shit? I don't even know what to think." He sighs, "I know it makes no sense to you but I had to be sure I wasn't holding you back from finding someone else." I cocked my head in confusion, "What?" He gulped once again and went to say something but I put my hand up to stop him, "You know what? No. I'm not doing this." I went to get up but he grabbed my arm to stop me, "Please, I know you're mad at me but I love you, Jo. I was just having a crisis or something, I don't know. I know it was wrong and I'm sorry." I sighed as I sat back down beside him, "You know what? It's alright, once you were gone for 6 months, I seriously thought about trying to put myself back out there but the only difference is, I DIDN'T." He grabbed my hand, "Please, Jo." I was confused, "Please, what?" He looked me over, "I don't want anyone else, I know that now. I don't know what I was thinking, really." I sigh, "How do I know you won't get bored again and find another bitch in a cabin?" He gulps, "Thats fair, I guess. I won't though, I was just getting overwhelmed with everything and I needed a way out and she was that, nothing more." I felt like he didn't realize he was digging himself deeper and deeper in a hole each time he spoke. I was starting to calm down, "Thanks for telling me, I appreciate it but if I ever figure out who she is, I'll kill her myself." He chuckled softly, "Stop it." I hid a smile, "So you haven't done anything sexual in a year? Are you alright?" He laughs lightly, "I might explode but I'm good." We both laugh. I couldn't help but feel really bad about myself after hearing he didn't know if our love was real or not, I mean, it's always been real for me, I also feel like maybe I was a little too lenient about it but as long as he didn't screw her, I guess it's okay, right?