ꜰʀᴇᴛ ɴᴏ ᴍᴏʀᴇ, ꜱᴏɴɢ ʙɪʀᴅ

Start from the beginning

Venti's words were relieving, to say the least. But before she could say a thing, a sudden cry echoed loud enough for the two to hear.

(Y/n) noticed when the bard glanced over at the window. At first, his face was that of someone who was hearing it for the first time, just like she had. But after the sound had rang it's course, his eyes softened.

"That sound..." He began, "He's here?" His voice was almost at a whisper.

"Who's here?" (Y/n) asked.

Venti slowly turned his head to face her. "That bird," He said, "How long has it been crying?"

"Not long... but, you know of it?" She asked him.

"Oh, yes I do," He slightly nodded, "It's quite the lonely bird. Singing a song, calling out to those who'll never respond back."

(Y/n) frowned. "That sounds a bit sad," She expressed, "How do you know that for sure?"

Venti raised a hand against his ear. His eyes shut close as he listened to the tune of the cry. "Can't you hear it?" He asked her.

"The cry?"

"The sadness."

(Y/n) watched as he moved his hand down to his chest.

"Listening to such sorrow weighs your heart down," Venti said, "If you listened carefully, I'm sure you could feel it too."

His gaze then lifted and returned to her face. "I know this is sudden, but I have a little task for you," He said, "Are you up for it?"

"Depends on what it is," She replied.

Venti relaxed in his seat. "Tomorrow, at this same hour, I want you to take the path that leads you to this enormous tree," His eyes went round as he said that, "I forgot the name of the area, but I'm sure a map will be of help."

(Y/n) raised a brow. "And why would you want me to go find a tree on my own?"

"Well, firstly, you don't have to go alone," He clarified, "Secondly, think of this as me sending you on a quest that'll be memorable for you in the long run."

"...And what exactly will make it memorable?" She questioned.

"You'll see."

"When I said you didn't have to go alone, I certainly wasn't expecting you to ask me to come with," Venti said, "Which I'm very honored to, of course. But, I hadn't seen that coming."

The boy carefully stepped over a fallen tree, following not too far behind (Y/n).

As they walked, Venti couldn't help but notice how quiet (Y/n) had been. It was a stark contrast to their usual conversations, which were filled with laughter and lively banter. He decided to break the silence.

"So, how's life in Liyue been treating you?" Venti asked, his eyes scanning the area around them for any sign of the mysterious bird, "I asked you earlier but you never said."

(Y/n) smiled wistfully. "It's been good. A little different from Mondstadt, but I'm starting to feel back at home here."

Venti nodded, a small frown creasing his brow. "I miss having you around in Mondstadt," He expressed, "It's not the same without you."