July

July 5th 1985, TJ hadn't slept a wink the events of the night before haunting him.
Heading downstairs he sees his Dad sat at the kitchen table, TJ is hungry and is making himself some cereal. His dad hasn't said anything to him yet, just watching the boy intently but not obviously. TJ accidentally drops the bowl and it smashes, milk and cereal flying everywhere. TJ just stares at the floor not moving, he takes a deep breath and all of sudden he drops to the floor himself.
"I can't believe he's gone! Riley's gone." TJ whispers out. His father stands up grabbing a hold of the boy and taking him in his arms. TJ begins crying, he's inconsolable.
Ted Wheeler knew this was coming the second he saw his son walk down the stairs, "I've got you boy. I've got you." He repeats over and over to his son. TJ can't even remember the last time his Dad hugged him let alone held him like this.

TJ hasn't left his room much, it's probably been around a week now. The only person he wants to talk to is Max. The two teens have started a routine each night, a phone call just to make sure they're both okay. It's not anything major especially with the underlying tension with them both, but they've found comfort within the voices of one another. Talking about everything and nothing all at the same time. TJ wishes he could just blurt everything he's feeling out to her but he can't. He wishes he could tell her how much he likes her, how her eyes are the most beautiful thing he's ever seen, how he loves the freckles that are spread across her face, her hair, her attitude, the fact she doesn't give a fuck but does at the same time. He wants to say it all but why should he be able to do that, when his best friends just died and so has Max's brother, it would just be selfish...right?

TJ is taken out of his thoughts by a soft knock on the door.
"I'm not hungry mum...thanks though." TJ grumbles out.
"It... it's not your Mum it's me. It's Cassie." He hears the timid voice of his other best friend. Slowly, TJ gets out of his bed heading towards the door. He slowly turns the handle to see the blonde beauty, her eyes red raw and bags under her eyes that could rival TJ's. TJ opens the door so she can come in and then shuts it the second she's in the room. Both rush to each other, gripping on to one another as if they're each others life line. Tears fall and not a word is spoken, just the soft echoes of whimpers around the room.

After what feels like forever the two break apart, sitting on TJ's bed.
"Teddy...I've wanted to call. But I knew when I spoke to you... that it would be... it would be real... that he's gone." Cassie cried out.
"I'm sorry I didn't call Cassie as well...I didn't know what to say either." TJ responds sincerely. The pair look at each other, TJ lays down and taps the spot next to him. Cassie lays down next to the boy, both looking at the ceiling just content to be in each others company.
"You want to stay here tonight? Or however long you need Cass?" TJ asks the girl whose like his sister.
"Please." She replies, leaning her head against his shoulder.

Cassie has been staying with the Wheelers for about 5 days now, Karen told her she could stay as long as she needs. Cassie was currently with Nancy and Karen having some girl time, while TJ was waiting for Max to ring him. The phone rings and TJ eagerly picks it up. Putting the phone to his ear he can hear the soft whimpers of someone crying.
"Max?" He questions.
"No... it's Mrs Holland, TJ. I...was hoping to speak to you and Cassie if she's still at your house." The woman asks, as a wave of guilt washes over TJ knowing that he hasn't rang or been to see them.
"Yes of course. Erm... Mrs Holland I'm... I'm so sorry for not calling or visiting. There's no excuse." TJ states.
He hears a sigh from the other end of the call, then a teary laugh.
"Oh TJ! Don't you be saying sorry... you're grieving. I completely understand, don't you dare feel guilty about this." The older woman commands, then continues, "Anyways...I won't keep you too long because it seems like you're waiting for a call from your girlfriend. I was hoping and wondering... if you'd be able to do a speech at the funeral for Riley?"