The Vanishing of Will Byers

November 6th 1983
The start of the end TJ Wheeler
often refers to it as.

His younger brother Mike and his group of merry men are in their 'shared' basement playing dungeons and dragons, though for a shared basement TJ barely ever gets a chance to have his friends down there so is instead outside kicking a soccer ball a...

His younger brother Mike and his group of merry men are in their 'shared' basement playing dungeons and dragons, though for a shared basement TJ barely ever gets a chance to have his friends down there so is instead outside kicking a soccer ball against the side of the house. He sees his older sister Nancy's 'not' boyfriend Steve 'the hair' Harrington climbing through her window, TJ rolls his eyes and goes back to kicking the ball until he hears the screams of the boys in the basement. He would be alarmed but this is a normal occurrence when they're playing the game, TJ use to be quite close to the gang but drifted away the older he got.

Five minutes later after the high pitched screams he sees Dustin Henderson, Lucas Sinclair and Will Byers leaving his house, meaning his Mother definitely had kicked them all out. TJ picks his soccer ball up and goes to head inside when he hears his name from Dustin, "You know you and your sister use to be a lot cooler."
TJ turns to the boy "Henderson just because I don't play your fantasy game anymore doesn't mean I like any of you less".
Dustin murmurs something under his breath but TJ's attention was caught by Will Byers stuttering out "Easy for you to say that but you don't talk to us anymore," he exhales as if he's building his confidence up for the next part, "especially not at school... you're too busy with your popular friends".
TJ was ashamed to say it but what Will said was true and stung a little, instead of a usual sarcastic remark he hung his head low, while the three boys stood still expecting a witty comeback "Get home safe guys and don't take the short cuts".
As he reaches the door and is about to go inside Lucas calls out, "Hey TJ there's some leftover pizza on the table if you want some?"
TJ gave a nod of his head and a quick thanks before heading in.

TJ heads down stairs in the morning and greets his little sister Holly who is in her high chair, he gives her a kiss on the cheek and grabs some eggos. The boy sits down before the phone starts ringing and his mother Karen asks if he'll answer it. He pulls the phone to his ear and hears the voice of Joyce Byers.
"Hello Karen it's Joyce"
TJ can hear the worry in her voice "Erm sorry Joyce it's TJ are you okay? You sound a little frantic?"
"Oh TJ will you pass me onto your mother I need to ask her a few questions about Will?"
"Yeah sure one second".
Hearing the nervous edge in her voice, TJ shouts his mum who ushers him away from the phone.
With a ruffle of Hollys head, TJ heads for the door but as he's leaving he hears his mum say "No Joyce he left here a little after 8:00pm".

TJ lets out a laugh as his best-friends come flying round the corner racing him on his bike. TJ flies into the school car park and whizzes down to the bike racks with a victory fist pump, Cassie pulls up next with a panting Riley pulling up last. "Why, why do we have to have a silly race every morning what does it prove?" A very out of breath Riley exclaims.
TJ walks up to Riley putting his hand to his cheek, "Oh sweet Riles... you see if I don't get my morning victory each day, my day would not be the same and to be honest my friend I just need that little ego boost every morning".
Giving Riley a little tap on the cheek, who scoffs at the boys antics, while Cassie is stood laughing.
TJ's attention is quickly drawn to his brother along with Dustin and Lucas being hassled by two bullies in his grade Troy Walsh and James Dante.
Cassie grabs TJ's shoulder already sensing the anger radiating of the boy, pleading with him "please do not do anything rash... you're not too many strikes away from getting kicked off the soccer team".
TJ thinks for a second but sees the two bullies thump each boy on their chest, completely clouding any voice of reason and storms over "We got a problem here boys?"
Mike looks to his brother and pleads with his eyes for him to leave it.
Troy turns to TJ and pushes his chest "Oh Mikes dear older brother you see I'm just giving these three freaks all the reasons on why they'd all be perfect fits for the circus."
Troy looks at the boys who try to avoid eye contact, "Isn't that right midnight, frog face and toothless?" The boys go to respond but are interrupted by TJ letting out a hearty laugh which causes Riley to close his eyes and Cassie to move into a ready position.
After he finishes laughing he pretends to wipe his tears saying "wow holy shit" he saw the confusion on everyone's faces and the hurt on his brothers and his friends, this quickly turned into shock when he grabbed a fistful off Troy's shirt," First I think you should apologise for the lack of creativity in every single one of those insults if that's what you were trying to do and two if I ever hear you speak to my brother and his friends again or even look in their direction it'll be the last thing you do... we clear?"
He smoothed out Troy's shirt and repeated "Are we clear?"
Troy gave a nod of his head and James grabbed him saying "Come on let's go".
TJ turns to the small crowd that has gathered to say shows over but is interrupted by Coach Tresscott's loud voice "Theodore Wheeler get over here now!"
TJ sighs and turns to his brother and friends "Wish me luck guys!"
With a fist bump to Riley and Cassie, TJ heads towards the gym to face the wrath of his coach.