Chapter 76 - Remembering Cedric

Start from the beginning

The two remaining, living Marauders panted for breath as they completed their search of the castle's third floor, without encountering so much as a trace of Harriet.

"Where could she be, Sirius?" Remus groaned as he leaned against the wall with a hand over his heart, "We've looked everywhere!"

"Nearly, but not quite." Sirius swallowed thickly, "Suppose we were too late......Didn't you hear the commotion outside a moment ago? Suppose she's been hurt?"

Remus blinked at Sirius briefly before both men resumed their race and dashed upstairs towards the Hospital Wing.

—————————————————————

Whispers.

Shadows.

While Harriet slowly returned to consciousness, whispers and shadows were all she sensed of the world.

Slowly, her eyelids fluttered open.

She gradually realized that she lay in a bed, staring up at the ceiling of the Hospital Wing before she dared turn her gaze towards the direction of the sounds.

Draco sat in a nearby chair while he spoke with Madam Pomfrey.

The redness around his eyes and nose offered evidence he had been weeping.

As her emerald gaze wandered, the calm expression on Madam Pomfrey's face brought her comfort.

".........Malfoy?" Harriet managed to gasp.

Draco instantly looked over.

He was unable to hide the sincere smile of gladness that danced across his features as he saw Harriet awake.

"Are you feeling any better?" He asked without hesitation.

"..........Weak." Harriet blinked.

"Well, that's to be expected given how much blood you've lost, Miss Snape!" Madam Pomfrey quipped, "Don't worry, it may take a day or two, but we'll have you righted soon enough. Another fifteen minutes and I'll administer your next potion cocktail. Since you're awake, it should be easier for both of us this time, now that you can swallow."

Draco frowned.

Harriet sighed while she tried to understand, "What......What happened?"

Draco blanched in mortification before Madam Pomfrey cut in, "Most girls don't struggle quite this much with their first menstrual cycle, though a twisted ovary can make the affair a nasty business. Thankfully, our world rectifies such an issue easily."

Harriet's grogginess plagued her, "......Our world?"

"In the muggle realm, I've been told 'surgery' is the required treatment for a problem like this." Madam Pomfrey nodded.

"What does that mean?" Draco frowned, "......'Surgery'?"

"It's a process that involves cutting the body open, Mr. Malfoy, and arranging the insides using fingers and metal instruments." Madam Pomfrey explained.

Harriet cracked a gentle smile as she watched Draco turn a sickly green colour while he contemplated Madam Pomfrey's macabre explanation.

"Are you alright, Malfoy?" Harriet laughed weakly.

His nausea vanished as he frowned at Harriet and snapped, "I should be asking you that instead, Snape. I can't believe you fainted......I mean, you actually fainted!" He laughed with a mocking sneer.

"........Do you not have anything better to do with your time than sit here?" Harriet rudely ignored his taunt.

Draco's haughty smirk melted into a melancholy frown as Madam Pomfrey quietly walked away to let the two converse.