Chapter 55

Heidi woke up in the middle of the night with a rumbling stomach, she carefully climbed out of bed so she wouldn't disturb Steve, surprised with herself that she was even able to get up without his help. She snuck out into the kitchen and as quietly as possible made a grilled cheese sandwich with lunch meat turkey in it and cut it in half. She also grabbed two plums and carefully cut them up on a plate and grabbed a bottle of water before sitting on the couch. She turned the TV on and at the lowest possible volume she watched The Conjuring 2 with subtitles so she wouldn't wake up the men.

Heidi sat in comfortable silence with the plate resting on her bump while she watched the movie, she hadn't made it far into the movie when she heard footsteps, she whipped her head around to see Bucky sneaking out looking confused in his boxers. Heidi quickly muted the movie. "I'm so sorry I woke you up." She whispered to him.

"I was already up, what are you doing?" He asked just as quietly as he joined her on the couch. Heidi unmuted the TV. "I needed a snack." She admitted. She picked up half of her sandwich and offered it to Bucky.

"Thanks." He said quietly with a smile, taking the half of the sandwich and biting into it. "So what is this?" He asked, turning his attention to the TV.

"The Conjuring 2, it's a ghost story. It's based on a true story." Heidi said as they ate. She offered him some of the plums she had cut up too, he ate a few pieces as they watched.

"Don't you think you'll get nightmares?" He asked.

"Never from movies, only from memories." Heidi admitted.

"Memories of what?" Bucky asked.

"It's not important, yours are. Did you have a nightmare again?" Heidi asked. She was always raised that she was less important than everyone else, she never liked to push her problems onto other people.

"It is important, plus I need the distraction." Bucky reassured her.

"It's nothing, really. But sometimes I see my parents. They were murdered when I was 7." Heidi admitted quietly.

"Was it me?" Bucky asked, keeping his eyes on his hands in his lap. Heidi leaned against him lightly and patted his leg. "No, it wasn't you. It was a robbery. We were at the local market in Texas, my parents made me hide when the robbers came in. I hid on the bottom shelf in one of the aisles, but I watched as the robbers killed every single customer." Heidi admitted.

Bucky shifted and put his arm around her lightly. "I'm so sorry." Bucky said.

"It was a long time ago, it's okay." Heidi reassured him.

"Is that all you see?" He asked.

"No. I see the men the first time they came for me. They faked a robbery at my old job, locked us all in the bathroom while they looked for me, but they didn't know what I looked like. I would've died that day if I wasn't wearing someone else's apron." Heidi said, sighing loudly.

"That was the same guy that activated me that day, wasn't it?" Bucky asked, Heidi nodded. "Apparently, we didn't know it at the time."

"They came for me two other times after that. Both times it ended with a pile of scattered bodies in the street. I see those bodies when I try to sleep sometimes." Heidi admitted. Bucky pulled her closer to his side. "I'm sorry." He said quietly.

"It wasn't you, it was Zemo. But that's over now, Dustin has a chance at actually living a normal life." Heidi said with a smile.

"His dad is 98 years old, how normal could it be?" Bucky joked, Heidi jokingly elbowed him in the side.

"Oh he's doomed, his uncle is 101." Heidi teased back. "You'll have to always have butterscotch candy on you like all the old women do."

Bucky rolled his eyes and kissed her temple lightly. "Very funny." He said.