𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟺.𝟺

┌──❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚─┐
PARADIS YEAR 854
└───❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚┘

Your fingers brushed against the weathered reigns of the horse as you pulled at the tight knot you had formed against the nearest tree. The feeling in your stomach didn't rest as your brain swarmed with all the new information thrown at you in the last seventy two hours. And now here you were searching for more answers to questions you just couldn't wrap your head around.

"So how are we doing this", Jean spoke up, as you all waited patiently at the foot of the steps.

"We're just going to go in and request to speak to good ole' Niccolo", Hange answered, with a confident grin, before striding up to the door.

"Let's just hope he's in a talkative mood today", You muttered under your breath before following in the commanders shadow.

As you stepped through the threshold you noticed a server making his way across the room. His eyes followed in the direction of your group, making his back stand straighter as he made his way over, "What can I help you with", he questioned curtly.

Your eyes narrowed at his greeting making your head tilt to the side as you analyzed his demeanor—Although his words seemed welcoming the underlying tone of his voice was enough to grab your attention. He seemed slightly closed off from your group, and you couldn't help but notice the subtle tick of his facial features as his eyes moved throughout the room while Hange talked.

What stood out the most was the burning look in his eyes—A gaze you had familiarized yourself with as a young girl to see through the good from the bad. A subtle chill ran down your spine as you thought back on the memories of your childhood.

Hange's voice broke you out of your mild investigation of the man, causing you pull your eyes away from him briefly, "Is Niccolo in today", The Commander asked easily.

"He is", He answered shortly, "Want me to get him for you?"

"That would be appreciated", Hange nodded, as the man gave your group one last look over before leaving in silence.

"I don't like that guy", You voiced over the short pause.

"You don't really like anyone", Jean snickered.

Rolling your eyes at his comment, you shifted to face him, "I like you guys."

"What's not to like?", Connie teased just as the sound of footsteps broke through the room.

"Hello there", Niccolo's voice cut into the conversation, "This urgent? Sorry, but... I'm preparing a main course for some very important guests right now", He explained, looking towards the dining room with an anxious stare.

"That's fine. If you're in the middle of something, you can get back to it", Hange reassured, "But, we'd like to have a quick word with you once you finish up." 

His face pulled up in questioned as he fully turned his attention to your group with a curious gleam in his eyes, "You wanna talk? What is this about?"

Hange stepped forward gently, "We wondered if you might have some concerns—"

"The scouts're investigating our detainment", Onyankopon stated, cutting Hange off in the process.

"We were hoping you'd be able to help us", You shrugged with a hopeful grin.

He looked at you for a second before shifting his eyes to Onyankopon. Their faces held a sullen expression, similar to the server from earlier, only adding more questions to the long list in your head. He looked back at the group before nodding, "Yeah. No problem", he motioned for you to follow him, "I'll ask you to wait in here until I can finish", He offered, opening up a spacious room.