CHAPTER 2.13

┌──❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚─┐
PARADIS YEAR 850
└───❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚┘

A few days had passed since the scouts defeated Rod Reiss, and you found yourself in the ruins of his wake. A large hole took over the land where the entrance of the chapel once stood-Down below the crystal like walls glowed in the sunlight.

It was the Captain who led you out on a mission to find the remaining members of Kenny's squad, but so far you were met with dead bodies, but no sign of the leader himself. Although it was a long shot that he would still be here, Levi was convinced that the man couldn't have gotten far.

You kept to yourself as you watched the Captain walk back and forth from one end of the cave to the other before a soldier in the distance came running up, "Captain Levi", The man yelled in panic.

"What", Levi muttered, turning to face the soldier, "You look like your going to shit yourself".

"We've found Kenny Ackermann", The man announced, choosing to ignore the captains words.

You and Levi's eyes widened at his words before turning to face one another, with a curt nod the both of you followed the man out as he pointed in the direction of where Kenny would be found.

"What are you going to do once we find him", You questioned, keeping your pace with Levi's.

"Im finally going to get some damn answers", He muttered before going quiet.

You took the hint as you trailed after him in silence-The only sound heard was your footsteps grazing the grass beneath your feet.

It wasn't long before you saw a body perched up against a tree in the distance. As you walked closer you took in Kenny's bloody and bruised body that appeared to be on the brink of death.

"You've looked better", You spoke up suddenly, catching the man off guard as he squinted through his swollen eyes.

"Dammit. Not you again", The man spit under his breath.

"Kenny... With those burns and that blood loss... there's no helping you now", Levi voiced with his usual glare.

"Yeah? I wonder", Kenny wheezed before sliding a box out from behind his back, "I swiped this little one right out of Rod's bag. Seems if I inject this... I'll turn into a Titan", He continued as he revealed a syringe, "One of those dumb Titans...Unfortunately. For a while...It should extend my life."

You felt yourself squeeze the gun in your hand a little harder than usual as you looked down at him with a nervous gaze, "You've had the time and strength to inject yourself. Why haven't you?", Levi questioned.

"Yeah...I wonder... If I don't inject it right... I might end up like Rod did... All messed up", The man muttered breathlessly.

"I know you're not sitting here waiting to die", The captain scoffed, "Don't you have a better excuse?"

"Well runt...The thing is...I don't feel like dying", Kenny answered, "Without my dream coming true that is...But I see now. After all this time... I think I understand why he did it".

You watched as Levi's eyes ruffled in confusion, "Huh?"

Kenny let out a low laugh, one no doubt painful due to all of his injuries, "Everybody I've met... was all the same. Drinking... Women... Worshiping God, even... Family... The King... Dreams... Children... Power... Everyone had to be drunk on somethin' to keep pushing on... Everyone... was a slave to somethin'", Kenny continued as a frown took over his features.

"Kenny", Levi pleaded as he took the man by the shoulder forcefully, "Tell me everything you know! How do we change the first kings vow?"

You waited for a response as the man grinned, "Beats me...We Ackermanns... opposed him...For his beliefs...Obviously we didn't get very far for it", He answered as the captain sent you a look.