𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟷. 𝟹

┌──❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚─┐
PARADIS YEAR 845
└───❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚┘

"C'mon Reiner, you're holding us up", You called out, glancing back at the blonde who was struggling to keep up.

You weren't sure how long you had been walking for, but he was falling behind the rest of the group as you made your way through the sandy dunes and grassy plain.

This was something you feared when it was announced he would be joining the mission. Even though he was awarded a Titan, you still didn't feel like he was up for the task—And so far he was proving you right.

You still had a long way to go, and didn't need him to add more time onto an already prolonged journey. It wasn't helping that you had to thirty pounds of gear strapped to your back, along with not being able to heal your endurance like everyone else.

"I'll catch up with you guys", he panted, causing you to roll your eyes.

"No. We can't just leave you—Let's just give it a rest and camp here for the night", you offered as the rest of the group nodded in agreement.

• • • • • • •

You all laid beneath the stars as the gentle breeze swept beside you. A part of you felt like you should feel more nostalgic considering how many nights you spent sleeping under the stars as a child, but you just couldn't.

Unlike the others you couldn't lay in a blissful sleep, as thoughts of what was to come clouded your mind—Could you really complete the mission?

The only motivation you had was Kai, other than that you had no real drive to help you get into the headspace needed for a mission like this. But you knew that from the very beginning.

It felt wrong to you—Even though you didn't know the people on the island, taking away their only home was a little personal for you.

What business did you have going to their land and taking it from them?

Your thoughts were interupted when Marcel lifted his head from the ground, "I guess we didn't think how difficult it would have been to travel at night. I'm glad we made a lot of progress during the day".

"Same here", Reiner agreed sitting up as you all surrounded the small dwindling fire.

"Are you guys sure the king won't use the founding titan", Bertholt asked out of nowhere, "I don't get it...If we blatantly attack his walls then—"

"What's the point in asking now", Reiner interrupted with an irritated look, "Just put your faith in Marley's research."

"That's right. There's no turning back now", Marcel added with a regretful sigh.

It seems like i'm not the only one with second thoughts...

"When we reach the wall tomorrow we'll have to—", You pause, getting choked up, knowing that you'll be the cause of hundreds of deaths.

"Huh, what's wrong? Don't tell me you're feeling hesitant to kill these devils", Reiner spit with furry in his eyes, "They're a threat to our entire world, but the greatest nation chose us to save it and punish these devils for their crimes".

"Again with the whole devil thing", you rolled your eyes, "we are all the same. If they are devils so are we—Only difference is what side of the water we reside in."

"Can you take this seriously for once. We are elite warriors, Marley chose us specifically to restore peace", Reiner argued.

Always so naive.