Chapter 72

It was best to get something over with once presented the chance, especially when it isn't something pleasant. Chris had been stalling all this time.

The past few months were beautiful, it was the most peace he had ever had. He hadn't seen Constantine in so long and it showed on his face. Chris was well-rested, not as strained, and definitely didn't drink as much as he had when Constantine often turned up with a disaster he had caused.

And best of all, no more games.

At least Constantine played nice with his mother. It was impressive how he still kept being a difficult insolent son while still avoid bringing up any mentions of pack matters and murder around her. One of his many talents was keeping his mother happy while simultaneously annoying the hell out of Chris.

He always hated how close he lived near his mother, he always made sure to ruin at least one day whenever Chris wanted to spend a lovely time with his wife alone.

Unfortunately, she was very fond of Constantine. A perfect being cannot exist, and so Chris accepted that this was her one flaw.

But then she had mentioned that she was suspicious of Constantine, and it almost made him die in fright because he didn't know how to explain to her that her son regularly killed, but thankfully she was only suspecting that there was someone in his life.

A suspicion Chris knew to be true, but he pretended not to know.

And that's when he realized that he never really met that mate of his son. An interesting person no doubt, but all he knew about him was that he was an omega who hid it by pretending to be a beta for several years. He was also the omega who caused the headache-inducing game that Constantine started.

All that time making them believe he was after Eli only to have been after someone else entirely. It was so like Constantine.

Nothing was ever straightforward with him.

Not to mention that he also regularly killed people which is an important detail and justification for what Chris had prepared for this eventful meeting.

The sedatives were hidden somewhere he could easily reach if he had to, and one of the bottles of wine was spiked with the same drugs he keeps using on Constantine – assuming that his mate drank. Furthermore, there are some restrains that he took out in case they were needed, and some of his men were ready on call. The only upside was that they're dealing with an omega, he should be easy to handle.

Even so, Chris didn't know what he was dealing with, it was better to be safe and sorry.

But he did know what to expect. This was Constantine's mate after all, and all of Chris' expectations were ones he did not look forward to. Who else would willingly be in a relationship with his son?

Chris expected crazy, something he'd describe as batshit insane. He also expected something that would make him end this meeting in seconds due to the displeasure he'll be feeling. There was no doubt that whoever it is, they'll be annoying to deal with. He'd go as far as to say that he expected someone erratic, someone who was just as uncontrollable and frustrating as his son.

So when the door finally opened, Chris found dread sneaking up on him as he caught himself before he showed the dismay he was feeling on his face. No matter what, it would not be a good thing to greet his guest with a disgusted frown. Especially not when it was their first impression of him.

However, something was wrong. Terribly so.

This wasn't quite right; a mistake must have occurred somewhere.

The world felt like it was upside down as his guest walked in and all of Chris' expectation came crashing down as he slowly processed what he was seeing. It almost made him feel lightheaded.