Chapter 32

The situations he often found himself in were unbelievable and it made him want to scream as he stared at his phone in bafflement.

It was getting late, very late, and after many calls that went unanswered, his mother finally sent him a text confirming what he has been dreading this whole time.

She wasn't coming to get him.

This is how Ari found himself all alone in the city way past midnight, and he didn't know what exactly to do as he felt like crying.

Everything was starting to close, and the bars were getting filled with drunk people that were too loud and too unreliable to offer any real help. Besides, any form of public transport was either unavailable or didn't go near a secluded town filled with werewolves.

So now Ari found himself stranded in the city with no money or a way back.

If his mother had told him earlier that she wasn't coming he might have been able to figure something out, maybe even beg Rowan for a ride if things were dire, but she didn't care enough to do that. That made him suspect that she figured out the whole ruse about him wanting to find a place to move into. She was all too happy to drive him to the city, but maybe she found out that Eli was out of town and put the two together.

That was entirely possible, but something told him she simply didn't feel like driving back to get him.

Dread filled him as he sat down on one of the city's benches wondering how he would get thought this chilly night. Frankly he was terrified, and even though he was a werewolf, he wasn't much of a fighter. It was obvious that he was lost and scared, and it only made it all that more dangerous for him to be all alone in the city at this late hour.

There was a moment where he considered walking back until he reached the wilderness since there weren't any territories nearby and rogues aren't likely to be near cities, but it would be a very long walk and it was very cold. He doubted he'd be much better in the forest, so he stuck to his bench and tried to think of something else.

He couldn't help but feel his eyes become heavier as he tried to keep them open.

Ari had been waiting for hours already, and he was just so cold and tired. All he wanted was to go back home as he felt his body slowly sink into his seat wishing he was in his warm comfy bed as his eyes became droopy.

But then he sat up in his place when he felt a presence behind him and froze in his place mostly out of fear than anything else.

This cannot be happening.

"Looks like I found myself a lost puppy." The easygoing playful tone should put anyone at ease, but Ari felt nothing but anxiety as he slowly turned around to confirm his worst fears.

And there he was leaning on the bench with a grin on his face as he gave Ari's head a pat.

"What brings you here at this time?" He asked casually moving his hand away looking entertained at his find. All the scents around the city were disorienting, but if Ari had caught a whiff of Constantine earlier, he would have fled to the other side without a second thought.

It was too late for that now.

"I'm waiting for my ride." He told Constantine hoping that his answer would be enough for him to leave, but Constantine remained standing behind him giving him a raised eyebrow.

"And when is that ride coming?"

"…Soon."

Maybe it was the hesitation in Ari's voice that made him press, or maybe Constantine was just presistent, but Ari knew he couldn't evade answering honestly anymore.