Chapter 56

Alpha Hawthorne did not look happy when he came by to visit this time.

Instead, he was agitated and he seemed to be worried about something as he stood at the front door. When she stepped out of the way to let him in, he didn't take the invitation and remained standing outside making her wonder if it had to do with Ari's absence.

"Where is he?"

Seems like it is related to Ari.

"I don't know." She told him honestly not knowing or caring where her son went. "The last time I saw him, he was with one of the alphas who came to visit."

She watched as her alpha hit the side of her doorframe with his fist before he startled her with his next words. "Those alphas were found dead. Only one of them seemed to have survived that son of yours." Anger seemed to seep into his words as he told her that. It was as if it was her fault. "Do you know the trouble this is causing?"

Shaking her head, she looked at him with a face that grew paler by the second.

"I didn't- Aurelius? Killing people?" She stuttered feeling like the world suddenly stopped making sense. There was no way he could have done that. He was always so frustratingly gentle and meek. This just didn't fit with his personality. "Are you sure it is him? I assure you he couldn't have done that."

It was mostly her shock that was defending him, but really. These were unbelievable news. Her omega son wasn't capable of anything that drastic. He was weak.

Always have been.

"Then whoever did might have taken him." She could distantly hear the sound of her sink running as the alpha spoke, but she didn't want to seem impolite and mention it as she stayed quiet.

The fact that three alphas who were last seen with Ari ended up dead made it very suspicious and highly unlikely that it was anyone other than him who killed them. Still, she didn't want to voice her thoughts with something she thought doesn't concern her anymore, so she just nodded her head in agreement.

She couldn't care less if Ari was taken or dead like those alphas. He's not her problem anymore.

"I think it is plausible, yes." The sound of running water really made her worried, she thought it came from her kitchen. How careless of her, but when did she even let the sink run? "I should have known something was wrong. I can't believe someone would take him away like this."

She made sure to sound devastated, but honestly she's more concerned about her sink than her missing son. At least the alpha seemed less angry and more sympathetic towards her.

"We won't rest until we find him." Her alpha assured her and she nodded her head gratefully as she watched him leave. She had never seen him so out of sorts before.

However, when she closed the door, she came into a terrifying realization. It was quiet. The voice of the sink running had stopped, and she turned around wondering if she had imagined it.

She didn't expect to find a stranger sitting comfortably on the armrest of one of her couches, waiting for her with a relaxed smile on his face.

The fact that someone was in her house was scary enough, but this wasn't just a regular person. From a single glance she could tell it was an alpha, a very tall one at that, and he had those sinister green eyes that promised no good intentions.

A cat playfully wagging its tail as it played with its prey played in her head, and she was the prey.

She was not liking this at all.

"You're not going to explain why you're in my house?" The fear and trepidation were clear in her voice. She knew she didn't sound threatening at all, not to this guy.