Chapter 12

The news got around town fast.

Everyone knew that the new omega who joined their pack turned out to be their future alpha's mate. It was big news, and it wasn't surprising that the Rivers family was invited to the Hawthorne's residence. Many discussions happened there, but most were of future plans and delightful polite speeches.

The two families were happy for their sons, and the whole town was happy for Alec and Eli.

Everyone in town watched the new couple when they passed by and smiled at the adorable sight. There were many shy experimental touches exchanged between them, and they both spoke eagerly to each other like nothing mattered in the world except for them.

Young budding love was a beautiful sight to many.

But not all were thrilled.

"An omega as a future luna." Ari's mother laughed looking out of the window at nothing in particular. There was no real joy behind her laugh as it sounded as bitter and sour as all the laughs she lets out whenever Ari is around. "The moon goddess really doesn't know what she's doing."

Learning from experience, Ari kept his mouth shut and just sat there listening to her ramble.

"There's a good reason why omegas are rare. Do you know why that is, Aurelius?"

He had no choice but to entertain his mother. "No, why?"

"Because they're worthless trash, that's why." She told him turning around to look at him with a bitter smile. "The rarest and most worthless, and now that thing is our future luna. This pack is doomed."

"We don't know that. He could be capable of-"

The noise of his mother slamming her fist on the wall startled him as he jumped in his place staring fearfully at her. "Weak little things aren't capable of anything, do you understand?" She glared at him; hatred clear in her eyes.

"I understand." Ari said moving his gaze to what's in front of him just to avoid looking her in the eye. "Omegas are weak and useless."

"That's right." She agreed with her anger now simmering down at his obedience. Ari wasn't going to take a chance and talk back to her, he was too afraid to do so. "What good are they if all they do is spread their legs? I don't see our future luna getting a job or contributing to anything worth noting."

Those words made Ari feel sick. It was such an outdated view, such a narrow mindset. Unfortunately it wasn't just his mother who thought that, Ari did hear a few people share her point of view once the news of Eli being Alec's mate got around.

There was so much hatred directed at omegas, and so much hidden repulsion.

It was as if they weren't sentient being with thoughts and feelings but objects made for pleasuring. Sadly his mother was right about them being weak. Omegas aren't known for their strength, they are known for their weakness. Even a beta could easily overpower an omega.

Their stature is small, their body is weak, and they just had a caring nurturing nature that not many saw a value in.

Maybe they were right. Maybe omegas really were nothing but instruments for pleasure. Even so, did they really deserve all the resentment they got? It wasn't a choice for them to be born like that.

Such a depressing thing to think about, really. Eli had done nothing wrong or deserving of all that, and yet some still hate him for being something he couldn't control.

"I think that it doesn't matter what he is." Ari often spoke before he thought. Couldn't shut up when he should have. If there's one thing that he couldn't do, it was to let his mother continue talking badly about people he cared about. "Alec seems happy and that's all what matters in my opinion."

A condescending hum came out of his mother as she looked at him with a sort of amusement that was patronizing. "Whenever you think, it is always something idiotic. So is your opinion."

Ari shook in his place. "It isn't idiotic."

"Oh, but it is." His mother snorted enjoying this one-sided argument they were having. No matter what he said, she wasn't going to be convinced. It was a losing battle that he's fighting, and she always won in the end. "Speaking of which, all your friends found a mate. What about you? Where is yours?"

Not knowing what to say, Ari stayed silent.

His mother was relentless as she walked up to where he was sitting and he made the mistake of looking up at her to see the look she had on her face. It made him feel so little.

"If your trash omega friend found a mate, so could you."

"Mother, please-"

"Figures. Nobody wants you. I know I never did." These words were nothing new, and Ari went numb ages ago from repeatedly hearing them from her. It should have been the same as usual, they'd not affect him, she'd let out all her frustration on him, and then she'd walk away freeing him from her cruelty for a blissful while. "Why don't you try your luck at the Dietrich's pack? I know they have an alpha son. Maybe you'll be worth something if he's your mate."

A sob escaped him.

A strangled sob came out of him against his will and his mother looked thrilled. Absolutely and devilishly excited as she laughed and laughed while he finally broke down and cried.

It hurt. Everything about it hurt. Her words and tone hurt. She didn't have to point anything out, he already knew just how unwanted he was. It was as if it was her purpose in life to remind him of that, and he couldn't bear it anymore. Not when everything changed.

The suggestion she made was just so cruel, so hurtful.

The Dietrich pack, the most powerful pack in the whole area, the one which had a reach that even extended their own. Their little town was nothing compared to the wealthy and powerful Dietrich family.

To think that their son, the future alpha of their pack, would be his mate was just something too good to happen to him. To think that it was a possibility for him to be whisked away from this hellish house by someone so good, someone who sounded so amazing like a dream...

No, of course not. It was laughable to even think of it.

His mother's words often came true, but this time he knew they wouldn't.

It was Eli who was meant to have this fairytale life. To move into a new town, turn eighteen, and immediately find someone who is meant to be. Not only that, but Alec is good-looking, the future leader of a powerful pack, and if that wasn't enough, he was also kind and caring.

Ari had witnessed them together more than once. He saw the gentleness that Alec handled Eli with. He noticed the loving gazes and fond looks between them.

It was not something that Ari could have. It was not something he'd ever find. That thought just tore his heart as he stood up to get away from his cackling wretched mother. The enjoyment she was displaying was purely evil. She didn't care that he was hurting, she relished in his misery.

"He's too good for you. Their son wouldn't even look at you."

As he fled while hearing those words, he knew them to be true.