Chapter 59

Just like before, it was a temporary place that he stayed in.

Bare and only filled with necessities, Ari knew that this temporary place he stayed in was only just until he is taken away for good. Away to a permanent place where he could finally just live in peace.

And like the times he stayed in those temporary places, there was always a scent that filled the place and that scent clamed him. Made him feel safe like he was at home even when he never knew what home felt like. It felt like a place that finally let him be. A place where nothing caused him any of the usual fear, anxiety, or pain.

Pain.

Because back in that town, that was the only thing he felt whenever he was home. However right now, he finally realized what it really meant to be there, to be home. How other people saw it, how other people experienced it.

Just like the way he experienced waking up for the first time without his heart hammering in his chest from fear. It was like he was rediscovering how to live without a constant component in his life, and that component was his mother. Ari didn't even realize the hell he was in, really. Never thought much about the stress he felt every time he woke up or walked inside of his mother's house. Not even the stress from reconsidering the words he'd utter lest they annoyed his mother.

Always on edge, that was home to him, and the abuse was a consistent dull ache that made him believe that it was normal. That it was just there, and he just got used to it.

His mother made sure he regretted being born the way he is, as if he did it to by choice.

But now home is associated with the scent of blood and Constantine, a mixture that rarely had one without the other. A mixture that is supposedly petrifying, should be a cause of panic, but Ari found himself relaxing to it instead. Even seeking more of it as he sought the places where that scent lingered. It comforted him.

It made him feel happy.

And as he found himself looking down at the chaotic sleeping figure beside him, Ari found the faintest hints of a smile appearing on his face. A smile that didn't do justice to the sheer joy he felt, but was a cause of it.

Never in his life had he thought he'd get to feel this.

And never in his life had he thought that he'd enjoy the pace of his heart quickening because of someone else.

Because Ari only felt that when he was deathly afraid, but now it was something else as his hand moved by itself to tentatively touch a horridly brutal hand. Despite its brutality, its touches were always welcome as he breathed in at the warmth he felt from this simple touch. It never is a simple touch whenever it's Constantine. Perhaps it's because they were chosen to be mates, it could be just that.

Or perhaps it's because Ari felt like he was loved around him. Could be that, too.

Ari's thoughts didn't linger on that, and instead he found himself moving his hands upwards marveling at how relaxed his partner was as his chest heaved up and down rhythmically, deeply asleep. It made Ari wonder if that warmth he felt was from the skin contact or just his feelings affecting him like this.

There were still knives around him, some stashed in places without much thought, Ari could grab any one he liked. Practice the throat slitting technique Constantine taught him so carelessly even when he knew Ari had easy access to anything and everything that could aid him to do just that.

It was an amusing thought to think that Constantine is actually doing it on purpose. Egging Ari to just go ahead and try, and he had a feeling that if he did, he will not succeed.