Chapter 35

There are days where something unexpected happens, and to Rowan it was in the form of a text from Ari asking her if she was home. She knew that it meant that he planned to come over, but things were a bit strained right now with them. She looked at her phone not knowing what to text back.

Deciding that there was no point in being stubborn, she typed in her reply telling him that sure, he could come over if he wanted to. Maybe it was about time for them to talk, actually talk, and in all honesty, she missed her friend. People do make mistakes sometimes, and she's afraid that hers would be not giving him a chance.

She waited a while sitting in contemplative silence before she heard a soft knock on the door and couldn't help but think about how quickly he arrived at her doorstep. He was probably already making his way over when he texted her.

Rowan opened the door to welcome him in, albeit a little bit reluctantly, but when she saw him standing there at the door she paused. There was something different. Something that wasn't there before. There was no doubt that he was losing sleep form how tired he looked, and he was looking down at the ground in a distant stare that worried her.

Instead of a greeting, she asked worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"Can we just..." He bit his bottom lip still looking down before he breathed out a heavy breath loaded with emotions she couldn't decipher. "Can we just bake and talk?"

There was no way she'd turn him down now.

"Sure, yeah. Kitchen is all ours." She stepped out of the way so fast so he could walk in.

 Whenever they decide to 'bake and talk' it is always because of something one of them wanted to talk about. They did that when she discovered Jax was her mate, or when they were deciding what to do in the future, and had many other discussions where they bared their heart to each other.

It was their thing and it seemed like he really needed it.

"Don't think we have many options; I didn't expect us to be baking today." She told him referring to the fact that she doesn't have many ingredients available. She propped up one of the cooking books they've always used and she stopped at a certain page. "We can do this, how about it?"

Ari didn't even look at the book when he answered. "Sure, it works."

No, Rowan didn't like this.

She silently handed him the bowl they'd use for mixing and went on to get the other ingredients. The whole time they were setting things up she was eyeing him carefully. She noticed that he moved without thinking like his mind was elsewhere and his body was just moving by its own.

There were no words exchanged between them as they started to work in tense silence before it was finally broken when a utensil dropped clumsily from his hand.

There was something in the way he looked at it stoically that made her stop everything and grab him by his shoulder. He looked like he was barely holding himself back from breaking down.

"We're baking now, but you aren't talking. You haven't said a word." She squeezed his shoulder and he was still not looking at her. "What's wrong? Tell me."

"Everything is wrong." He told her hoarsely as he swallowed a cry that surged up in his throat. "Sometimes I wonder if I really don't deserve to be happy. Everything is just so wrong."

Whatever they were baking was quickly forgotten as she held him by the side of his arms looking at him firmly.

"Tell me." She said making a decision. "I will not be mad at you, and I won't judge you. Even if it is Eli, I understand that we can't help what we feel. I won't tell Alec or anyone a thing."