"What things?" Rowan asked cluelessly, not that interested in knowing. So when she only got a shrug from Ari and an averted gaze from Eli, she didn't bother to ask as she allowed herself to enjoy the warmth from her drink.

"It's about time, yeah. I'll see you two later." Eli said standing up from his seat already heading to the door. It surprised Rowan, but she was quickly distracted by Ari who diverted her attention from the whole thing.

The last thing Eli heard was their happy chatter as he felt the cold air hit him when he pushed open the door, and suddenly he found himself chasing after someone he's been avoiding the past few months finally realizing why he was doing it.

Eli wasn't avoiding Alec because they were exes, but because it ached whenever Eli was reminded that they were not together whenever he saw him. This dull ache persisted, and there was a reason for why it did.

"Ale-" It came out weakly, and his heart was thudding in his chest as it ached, and he immediately regretted ever being there when nervousness set in as his voice went away. What if Alec got angry with him? What if he doesn't want to see him anymore?

What if he stopped loving him?

Those worries quickly vanished when Alec turned around to face him, and he looked as if he couldn't believe it was Eli who called for him. Seeing no anger or disdain in his expression, Eli felt braver as he approached him, swallowing his nerves away.

"Hi."

A small smile appeared on Alec's face. "Hello."

And the dull ache wasn't so dull anymore, Eli felt like his heart was being squeezed so hard he almost let out an audible reaction. But he didn't, and instead he bit it back and tried to utter words without stuttering them. The problem is, he didn't know how to start.

The first thing that came to his mind was an apology. "I'm sorry."

He was apologizing for many things all at once.

For breaking his heart, for leaving him, and for making him go through all that pain despite them both knowing that they were the ones who were chosen as mates. Not everyone is so lucky to find theirs, and Eli so recklessly threw that away to chase someone else. It felt so real, but so did his conflicting feelings.

And now Eli knew what went wrong.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." Alec sighed, but he did try to smile, and for some reason he didn't look like he was hoping for more. Something about the acceptance he was showing made Eli feel worse. "I heard he's back. Did you go see him?"

They both knew he was talking about Ari.

"I was with him just now." Eli answered him quickly, almost in an indifferent manner, and he was quick to follow up with what he really wanted to say. "Would you say yes if I asked you on a date right now?"

If Eli knew just how smitten Alec always was by him, he wouldn't have asked so nervously. It made Alec's eyes widen in surprise not expecting that. They haven't spoken in so long.

And now Eli was talking to him again, asking him on a date.

And he had just been with Ari moments ago.

"I would, yes."

Eli breathed out in relief as if there was any way Alec would have rejected him, and then he awkwardly smiled as if he wasn't supposed to. As if they weren't yet friendly enough for it to happen, but when Alec looked down at him with a fond look at that smile, he almost choked.

Alec was looking at him as if he was in love with him.

It wasn't the fascination and electrified wonder that came with being mates, it wasn't like the excitement and infatuation that they had before, it was a lot more than that. That's when Eli realized that Alec had waited for him, but also let him go.

And only someone who truly loved would ever do that.

"Let's take it slow." Eli told him because that's what he wanted, he wanted to know him before they go any further. No more heated kisses and lustful touches, just slow meaningful ones were enough for now.

"Sure, yeah. Slow is good." Alec agreed wanting nothing more than to just keep him by his side, that was all what he cared about, nothing else. It was bearable when Eli was nobody's, but it'll be perfect now that he is slowly becoming his once more. "How about going on that date now? I am free now."

"Yes, ok." Eli answered a bit too quickly, but he didn't care. The dull ache in his heart went away, and things are starting to get better. Things are just as they should be. "Now is perfect."

And when Alec offered his hand, Eli didn't hesitate to take it in his.

Because Eli might have been naïve, and he did make a lot of mistakes in their relationship, but so did Alec. They both dived in too fast, too hard, and it led to many unfortunate outcomes. But now they were slower, more careful, and Alec was patiently walking alongside the inexperienced Eli through this relationship.

And this time they both meant for it to last.