Chapter 43

Waiting game

"I think you mixed the blood tests up I'm not pregnant", i say laughing as he looks confused. "This is the only blood test I've had today your around 12 weeks", he says as my face drop. "I'm taking this silence and guessing you didn't know", he says.

"So I am definitely", i say as he nods. "100%", he says. "Are you sure no one's messed with them"? I ask as he shakes his head. "I'm one hundred percent sure so your both in the clear and congratulations I guess", he says looking at me with a blank face. "Fucking hell", i say standing up as Caleb stays silent.

"Perfect timing and all", he says as the doctor leaves. "You didn't know"? He asks as I shake my head. "I had no idea", i reply. "Please don't tell anyone I want to be the one to say anything promise me", i say as he nods. "I promise", he says. "How are you going to tell Enzo"? He asks. "I don't know yet", i say as we walk back out.

"I can't tell him whilst he's in here I'll have to set something up once he's up and able to leave", i say as we walk out. "Do you think he'll get angry"? I ask as Caleb shrugs. "I'm not sure this hasn't happened before plus due to the situation going on right now he'll want to keep you safe and now that there's 2 of you", he says.

"I know I just feel it's best to tell him when he can handle it it's probably best to not tell him after he's just woken up from being shot in the chest", i say. "He could've not survived and he wouldn't of ever known", i say. "Hey even if that did happen he would've died for one of the greatest things protecting those he loved", he replies.

"I'm going to see Santi for a bit I'll bring you some drinks later if you'd like"? He asks. "Yeah of course knock yourself out", i say walking back to Enzo's room.

Seeing him there every time is heartbreaking. I pray each time I walk in he's just going to be up and awake back to his normal self. But as of right now that's only an imagination until reality hits. His bed was upwards so he looked sat up slightly he had wires upon wires all over his body around his hands and arms up to his chest.

The room was quite bland, the walls were all painted an off white colour, the floor was stained in places and the lights were either dim or blinding in different areas of the ward. I sat back down on the wooden chair beside resting my head against his arm laying on the edge.

It was hard to fall asleep in places like this, they were never quiet you always had shouting nurses or the sound of shoes running past with door slamming alarms going off for rooms and the beeping of machines were never ending.

Believe or not it was equally busy at night as it is to day. The waiting rooms were always full with sick people the rooms were always taken and staff members were always rushed off their feet.

-

I had woken up to a mumbled voice saying my name. I lift my head up looking towards the window of the room to see no one nearby before turning to face enzo.

"Oh my god", i say standing up. "Oh my god your awake", i say holding onto his hand. "Are you okay are you in pain I'll go and get someone hold on", i say standing up as he holds tight onto my hand. "I've just woken up and your leaving me already"? He says.

"You scared me", i say as my eyes start tearing up. "I'm sorry amore", he replies. "I thought you were going to die", i say. "You were so close to", i add. "You really think I'm going to leave that easily", he says laughing before holding his chest.

"Shit let me get someone", i say walking out the room letting someone know he's finally awake.

The nurses rush in checking him over before making sure all his vitals and blood pressure was okay along with dosing him up with medicine to help ease the pain. I see caleb down the corridor walking up with some drinks noticing me watching through the window of the room.

He starts walking faster before reaching me. "Aria what's happened is he okay"? He asks. "He's fine he's awake they're just doing checks that's all", I reply as he looks through the window noticing enzo looking back at him.

The nurses leave shortly after as we both sit in with him. "You scared me that night", caleb says. "You and santi both but you more", he adds. "Oh shit yeah is he okay"?Enzo asks. "He's fine he's been awake for a while he didn't have it as bad as you", I say. "He's just bed bound for now", i add.

"You'll be able to see him soon though the nurses are trying to free up a double room so you can both be placed together saves us going back and forth plus your family so they'll put you together", Caleb says.

"You were so lucky", i say. "You lost so much blood they were working on you for hours", i say. "I'm alright now don't worry", he says. "I'll be back to normal in no time", he adds.

"I'm going to go and let santi know your up I won't be long", Caleb says leaving us two together. "Don't cry amore I'm fine I promise", he says looking at me. "As long as your okay i always will be", he says. "I don't want this to happen again", i say.

"It won't I promise just a one off", he says. "Did you get to my parents in one piece"? He asks. "Yes I'm alright your mother insisted I was checked over by a nurse and they said everything's fine", i say. "That's good", he replies.

"I'll be out of here in no time I'll have people move everything from the old house to the new whilst I'm still in here so we never have to go back there", he says. "Do you know how Lexi and the others are doing"? He asks.

"Lexi stayed the night you came in but left with Caleb not long after you came out of surgery same with your parents", i say. "They left you here alone"? He asks looking angry. "I didn't want to leave you", i reply. "They shouldn't of left you alone amore", he says.

"I'm fine here it was only for a little while they were back not long after", I say. "They came to visit this morning whilst I was with the doctor so I didn't see them", i say.

"Are you hungry I could get us some food"? I ask as he nods. "I won't be long, plus I need to ring your mum and let her know your awake", i say leaving.

-

Caleb came with me to bring food as Santi also needed some which I couldn't carry as well. We bought enough food for us all along with some extra drinks to save us coming back later.

Whilst waiting for food I decided to ring Enzo's mother as I wouldn't be able to once I have the food.
"Aria is everything okay do you need us to bring you home"? She asks. "No no everything's okay I just rang to let you know Enzo's just woken up so I'd thought you'd want to know", i say as she shouts for his father through the phone.

"Okay thank you we'll be there soon", she says ending the call as our food is ready.

1321 words

Make sure to vote 🤍