Chapter 41

Happy endings aren't for me

"If this does occur he'll be out of conscious and on medical supervision for 2-3 weeks", she says. "There's a small chance this could happen but I wanted to let you guys know before hand", she says.

"When will we be getting an update on them both", his mother asks. "I'd say you will receive one for Santiago in around half an hour at least and for Lorenzo around an hour at least", she says as we stand up.

"In the mean time we have a private waiting room for families if you'd like to wait in there it saves the space in the corridors and has a private food and drink area with it", she says as we nod.

-

We had waited together for an hour before a nurse came by with an update for santi. They had successfully removed the bullets and are now sending a blood transfusion for the small amount he lost which will take another half an hour before he'll be out of surgery.

We still had no update yet on enzo. A few of the men decided to head back to the house to deal with the dead bodies along with the cars outside making sure everything was locked up and everyone else that didn't come was alright leaving just me, lexi, Caleb, and enzos parents.

Caleb was dozing off next to a wall as lexi rested her head against my shoulder. His father had incoming calls 24/7 so he hardly was sat leaving his mother sat on the opposite side staring up at the ceiling as a doctor arrived.

"I have an update on lorenzo marchetti"? She asks as we all sit up. "Okay so we have successfully removed the bullet and have stopped the bleeding in his chest. "The bullet had gone through quite deep so we are currently repairing some of the tissue and muscle it had damaged but after that we will have to do a blood transfusion as he lost a lot", she says.

"He's currently stable which is a good sign as the hardest part is done the next update will be with you in another hour or so", she says before leaving. "So that's good news then"? I ask. "Hardest part is done", Caleb says sitting up straight.

-

45 minutes later and a second nurse came by with an update for santi. "So he's just finished in surgery he'll be bought to a room shortly I'll be able to come and collect you once he's there and stable all though he will be unconscious from the anaesthetic but that should wear off over time", she says as we thank her.

"Any update on enzo"? I ask as she shakes her head. "Not yet they're still doing the blood transfusion as of now so the next update for him will be in another half an hour or so", she says.

"If it's possible to ask if only 2 of you stay per room as they are quite compact your free to stay here but in the main area only 2 are permitted per time", she says as we nod. "I would advise that you do take it in turns maybe to go home to rest and get clean clothes so that you don't stay in the same things all day and you'll be able to see them still", she says before leaving.

"I don't mind if you guys want to go back to get changed or rest up", his mothers speaks out as we disagree. "Honestly I don't mind at all I want to be here for when they wake up", Lexi says. "Same here I want to make sure they're both okay before leaving them", Caleb says.

"Aria darling you can go back to mine if you'd like"? She asks as I shake my head. "I'm sorry I can't leave him not after what happened last time", i say as she nods.

Around 10 minutes later a nurse came by allowing us to visit santi. Enzos father and Caleb went first to check on how he was doing for a while before lexi went by afterwards with his mother. Both boys decided to get some fresh air whilst the other 2 still keeping santi company.

Around half an hour later a nurse came by to only me in the room with an update for enzo. "So the blood transfusion went just as we expected he's in the all clear as of now and should be moved to a room soon I'll let you know when", she says. "When he wakes he will be in a lot of pain so I'd suggest you let a nurse know as soon as possible so we can dose him up", she adds. "Okay thank you I'll let the others know", i say.

I made my way out towards santis room looking through the glass to see him laid there with wires attached to him all over. Enzos mother noticed I was there and walked over leaving Lexi alone. "The nurse came by with an update for enzo everything went well and he'll be in a room soon", i say as she takes a breath.

"Thank god he's alright do you know where the other two went"? She asks. "They went outside for some fresh air they should be back soon", i reply. "Would you mind sitting in with Lexi whilst I go and talk to my husband", she says as I nod before entering. "Good news enzos surgery went well he's going to be placed in a room soon", i say sitting beside her.

"I'm sorry I never really got to ask how you were", she says looking up at me. "Your so brave it kills me you've been through so much and now this", she says. "Happy endings just aren't my sort of thing", i say with a smile. "He'll pull through I know he will he always does", she says. "He's been shot before"? I ask.

"A couple times before but nothing as bad as this", she says. "The scar on his left arm that one wasn't that long ago", she says. "Yeah I remember that one I helped him when he came back", i say. "And a few years back he was shot in his foot", she says laughing. "That one was me", she adds as I smile.

"They were teaching me and it kind of bounced actually hitting him right in the foot", she says. "Let's be glad it wasn't his head", i add as she laughs. "Do you know when he'll be awake"? I ask looking at santi. "He should be in the next 20 minutes or so but when he does we'll have to leave so they can check him over and give him pain medication", she says.

"I'm glad you didn't get hurt I was really worried", i say looking over at her. "Me too", she says as a doctor walks in.

"He's now out of surgery and in his room if you'd like to see him".

1181 words

Make sure to vote 🤍