Besides the Dying Fire

What no one knew was the in the field Olivia's father was holding Rick at gunpoint, they didn't know that the man who had raised her single-handedly for seventeen years was about to die

What no one knew was the in the field Olivia's father was holding Rick at gunpoint, they didn't know that the man who had raised her single-handedly for seventeen years was about to die. Plagued by insane jealously of his best friend, about a baby that was biologically his. They didn't know that Rick was trying to reason with him, trying to remind him of the girl he had back at home who needed him, but Shane Walsh was too far gone.

Shane Walsh died that night. In the field shot by his best friend. He bled out on the floor below a sobbing Rick, he begged him to keep his promise he made years ago.

He begged him to take care of Olivia. Rick told him that he would, he wouldn't have his friend die believe his daughter would be alone in the world. This wasn't her fault, she wasn't a part of this. He didn't want Shane to think that she wouldn't have anyone to look out for her. Shane died thinking that his kid would be okay, that she wouldn't be left to fend for herself. That Rick wouldn't leave her.

He was lied to

. . . . . .

Glenn, Tyler, Olivia and Daryl walked into the house where the rest of the group were waiting, "Rick and Shane ain't back?" Daryl asked

Lori shook her head, "No."

"We heard a shot." Olivia said, "Why would they shoot. It wasn't us."

Lori shrugged and said, "Maybe they found Randall."

Finn shook his head, "They didn't find him we found him."

"Is he back in the shed?" Maggie asked

Daryl looked at her and said, "He's a walker."

Hershel sighed saying, "Did you find the walker that bit him?"

Glenn shook his head, "No, this is what's weird he wasn't bit. His neck was broken. He died from that."