Save the Last One

Start from the beginning

. . . . . . . . . .

Word quickly spread around the farm that the rest of the vehicles were coming up to the farm. Daryl, Theo, Finn, Carol, Dale and Andrea all got out and joined T-Dog, Glenn, Rick, Lori, Shane and Olivia

"How is he?" Dale asked

"He'll pull through. Thanks to Hershel and his people..." Lori said

"And Shane. We'd have lost Carl if not for him." Rick said

Carol walked toward Lori and hugged her, "We were so worried."

Olivia walked over to Finn and Theo hugging them, "Thank god you're here. Don't get me wrong, I love Glenn. I do but...yeah."

Glenn walked over to them and hugged the pair of them as well, "Merle's clap, saved T-Dog's life, isn't that the funniest thing we've heard all week?"

Olivia laughed as she looked over at T-Dog who didn't look impressed, "You good T?"

T-Dog nodded, "Merle's clap saved my goddamn life. I'm peachy."

"How did it happen?" Finn asked as he walked over to Rick

"Hunting accident. That's all... Just a stupid accident." Rick said

Finn nodded as he hugged Rick, "Glad he's okay." 

. . . . . . . .

Later that day everyone was standing under a tree whilst Hershel prayed, "Blessed be God, father of our lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in Grace." Hershel looked at Shane, "Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

Shane looked up then shook his head, "I'm not good at it. I'm sorry."

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning." Patricia begged

Shane sighed and nodded, "Okay. We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up...We've got to save the boy. See, that's what he said. He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead. Run, he said. He said I'll take the rear. I'll cover you. And when I looked back... If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning, it was his."

. . . . . . . . .

At the camp, Hershel walked towards the group that were standing at the RV, "How long's this girl been lost?"

"This'll be day three," Rick said

Maggie walked over to them and put a map down on the hood of the car, "County survey map. Shows terrain and elevations."

"This is perfect. We can finally get this thing organised. We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams." Rick said

Hershel looked at Rick and shook his head, "Not you. Not today. You gave three units of blood. You wouldn't be hiking five minutes in this heat before passing out." He then looked at Shane, "And your ankle. Push it now, you'll be laid up a month, no good to anybody."

"Guess it's just us then." Daryl said, he pointed to a place on the map, "I'm gonna head back to the creek work my way from there."

"I can still be useful. I'll drive up to the interstate, see if Sophia wandered back." Shane said

Rick nodded, "All right, tomorrow then. We'll start doing this right."

"That means we can't have our people out there with just knives. They need the gun training we've been promising them." Shane said