61. Distractions

The hot pink desk clock strikes 7 PM, and yet, Baekhee is still at the company on a Friday night. Irritable and tired, her movements are starting to become heavy and uncoordinated. She bangs her hand and catched her knuckles as she grasps things, it's the kind of tired that she'd never known before. Lethargic and slow moving from getting up and running around the office, pacing back and forth between her desk and Junmyeon's. For a desk job, she certainly didn't sit all day. Fetching and running faxes and copies hourly, she'd kick off her manolo blahnik black lace pumps under her desk and stretch her toes around inside her hose.

She opens her desk cabinet drawer and starts sifting through the files for the time table update for the next month, only to find that it isn't where it should be. She curses under her breath wondering why she can't do such a simple job well. Pulling strings or not, junmyeon can only keep an incompetent secretary for so long.

Slamming the drawer closed, she sits back in her chair, leaning her back, eyes closed, and starts to slowly spin back and forth.

"Baekhee."

"Yes sir?" She replies instinctively, sitting forward so that her long hair falls forward over her shoulder in a silk second.

When she looks up to register the man standing there, she sinks forward with a goran.

"Oh, it's you..." She mumbles, avoiding eye contact at all cost.

He folds his arms over his chest, cocking his hip to the side as he watches her.

"How can I be of assistance, Sir?" She growls, not in the mood for his usual snide remarks and cocky grins.

"Do you have the sales report from Kim Jongin, he said he'd drop them off with you after lunch." The man replies in true professionalism, not a bat of a lash askew.

Somehow, Baekhee is taken back temporarily by his presence so late in the evening, keeping up his work manners expertly even with fewer people around. She finds that she's both intimidated and irritated that he's being curt with her, and feels guilty for her haughtiness when in truth, she still owed him from the week before when he raced her across town in his Jeep for her brother's wedding.

"Y--yes sir. Yeah, hold on a sec, I have it." She rummages through a short stack of manilla folders and pink sticky notes. She pulls one tabbed with messy black ink and flips to the first page, removing a post it with his name scrawled on it.

She smiles lightly when she hands it over and he slides it from her grasp, reaching for the post it with his name on it and sticking it to the cover of the folder with the kind of brewed smile that takes moments to fully appreciate.

"At ease." He teases, giving her a salute.

For one, unsteady moment, she watches him walk away. He had the height that Chanyeol did but a completely different build. He was narrower and leaner, he was a shoujo manga male lead impersonated effortlessly. Realizing that he has an arguably better figure than she has and feeling more irritated by this, she twirls her chair away and rolls her eyes in resignation.

What is she doing here? Pretending to work at a job that she's incapable of. She's not even half the assistant that Victoria was on her worst day, and she coulnd't pass a secretary test to save her life. She feels like she's frowning in the weight of her decision to work here, every minute that she's in the building. But then why does she feel so good when she comes home? Why does she feel so peaceful when she soaks in the bath after spending the whole day racing back and forth across the office?

Junmyeon comes out of his office casually, satchel over his shoulder, suit jacket draped over his forearm and sits on the edge of her desk. She sits up straight almost instinctively at the sight of him now.