44. More Rain in Tokyo

"Why did you drag me here?"

Yifan watches with some interest as Park Chanyeol turns down his nose at the establishment, still in a foul mood. He's been in a funk since the moment that the plane touched down in Japan, a sort of disinterested lethargy coming over his body like a weight. He filled in the spaces with the knowledge that Baekhyun is here and knows that this plan could work.

Contrived? Highly. But the downfall of his frenemy Park Chanyeol, would in fact bring down Victoria. Her career and trusted relationship and place in the business world crumbled once Chanyeol finds out that she was the target in a series of events the would ultimately affect his company. He would have to get rid of her after that. No longer a trusted secretary but instead, a problemsome figure in the office that he'd have to be rid of. And the reputation of a secretary who brought down her business would soon make it hard for her to get another job in Korea. Jobless and alone, she would be forced back to China where he could really start making her life a living hell. First, remove her love interest, then her steady job. Though he'd technically succeeded in ridding her of Tao, it didn't have the effect he wanted.

Yifan has his plan all laid out. His plan is not so simple as to directly target her this time, but rather, bringing her down through the career and company that she so loves. And while he can sense that it's a little excessive, he's not ready to give up on taking her down quite yet. He's not ready to end things so easily. Years of effort, all taken down with just the fickle decision making of their shared former lover, Tao? No. He was not so simply swayed. So now, he would fault her for bringing down Park and his company. The guilt of that alone should make her repent for all she's done. First, he must start again from square one: getting trouble maker Baekhyun back into Chanyeol's life to stir up those old flames.

"You don't like it here?" Yifan inquires, innocently enough, turning his attention to his friend.

"No. I don't. "

The lights outside are bright, just before a lunch rush, the time when Baekhyun would supposedly start his shift.

"Kick back and relax, Park."

But the CEO does not. He touches his wrist where his watch once was and clears his throat, looking out of place and uncomfortable with where he's at. He looks to the man with a narrowing of his eyes, wishing he was anywhere else, evidenced all over his impatient demeanor. Yifan had been very specific about where he wanted to sit. The corner booth with a clear view of the whole restaurant so that both of them could keep an eye out for what goes on, for who's coming and going, and any waiter in the place that might pop in for his shift and turn Park Chanyeol's life upside down.

Chanyeol's phone suddenly rings and Yifan jumps, nervous and worried.

"Yes."

Chanyeol answers confidently and gives a slight eye roll, relaxing into the seat ever so slightly, his shoulders slipping from their high hunch to a more anatomically correct position.

"Calm down, Junmyeon. I'm not in Akihabara."

Akihabara? Yifan scrunches up his face and lets one eyebrow raise with curiosity. Whatever conversation was being had meant a lot of sighing for Park Chanyeol like a sulking teenager and much talking on Junmyeon's side like a scolding parent. Perhaps this obstacle should be factored into his calculations. This ghost variable that he hadn't accounted for is now weaseling a new complication into his plan, not something that he likes at all.

"I'm fine, Kim. Calm down and relax. Enjoy your new toys and don't keep checking in on me. I'm at a family restaurant with Wu Yifan."

After a pause, Chanyeol glares at his lunch partner with a scoff.