27. Sleeping together

"How are you feeling?" Chanyeol asks with a grin, looking down at the man at his side.

Baekhyun tangles their fingers together and smiles up at him.

"I'm fine."

"Are you still lightheaded?"

He shakes out his hair, still dry but for a few wet ends and Chanyeol rolls his eyes.

"You wouldn't tell me if you were because it might get in the way of continuation."

Baekhyun nods, agreeing with that deduction entirely.

Every step taken towards their room has Baekhyun's heart stammering in his chest a little harder again. Continuation. Tonight is the night. All of those dreams and fantasies all coming to bloom here tonight. This is it.

"Park Chanyeol." Baekhyun says.

The man tightens his hold on the slender fingers wrapped with his in response and looks over. The man's soft chin, a tapered angle of loveliness Chanyeol wanted desperately to touch again. The freshness in the air with the chill of their wet bodies touched by stolen breezes through open windows. Reaching the bedroom, Chanyeol wrestles still with his uncertain feelings, the hesitation comes no longer from his fear of his feelings for a man but rather his fear of what his feelings will do to this man.

If he gives in tonight, takes away the last remaining fiber that remains unexplored between them and makes love to Baekhyun, he crosses a point of no return. He's stepping over a threshold that seals Baekhyun's confession and he wants to reciprocate those feelings more than he allows himself to. But there remains an obstacle between them that is not so simply overcome by love and whispered promises. No longer carefree and ignorant of the repercussions, Chanyeol knows what will happen if he takes this final leap.

But he wants this. He wants Baekhyun.

He wants to hold his tiny beautiful fingers like this, sit beside him with coffee in the morning, and go places together on their days off. He likes the possibilities of their life together. He wants this more than he's ever wanted to be with anyone else. No longer does sex seem sloppy and dirty. No longer does it seem like a waste of energy. And as the universe would have it, the first and only person Chanyeol feels this with is the person he can no longer have. It can't happen because the end of his relationship with his sister means that Baekhyun's family collapses. And he's heard enough from Baekhyun's father's politics to know that trading marriage plans for his daughter to marry his son would not be an option. But looking at Baekhyun, there is no other option for him. And Baekhee doesn't cut it. He tried, really tried to muster up the courage to kiss her. He kept getting closer and closer to her, wanting to go for the kill, but each time, he caught sight of Baekhyun in her features, he felt his gut tighten like it was rotting away. It felt like cheating on Baekhyun to be with her at all.

So if he's going to have to marry Baekhee, so that Baekhyun's family doesn't go under, so that Baekhyun's father doesn't kill himself under the loss of hundreds of thousands of people's jobs because of his poor leadership, so that Baekhyun can keep his family... If he's going to marry someone he doesn't love because it will keep the man he loves safe, he'll do it. And why not taste pure unadulterated bliss for just once before the wedding. Why not take this limited time he has before the marriage and merger? This is his only chance to be with Baekhyun and he might as well take that opportunity. Baekhee will get him, and he'll do what he has to for the rest of these days. He'll do what he has to, and every time he sees Baekhyun, he'll bite his tongue. There is nothing more that he can do but for these days of remaining freedom, for these days that he's in Japan, away from the reality of his position and his finacé...

"Should I come to your room?" Baekhyun asks.

"Tomorrow."

Baekhyun tightens his grip on Chanyeol and narrows his eyes.