14. Fate like spider webs

Yifan slowly draws his tie from the loop around his neck and drops the silken fabric to the top of the hotel's perfectly made bed. He unhooks his cuff links and drops the opal squares to the desk with a careless clatter, rolling his sleeves up to his elbows when the knock at the door lifts his gaze.

"Right on time." Just as she always has been.

Opening the door, his old friend stands before him in a pressed blouse and an abstract black and grey geometric maxi skirt with the same annoyed expression on her face he'd come to expect since their youth.

"Wu." She says abruptly in place of a greeting.

He lowers his gaze over her in a purposefully slow once over across her body with the express interest of making her wildly uncomfortable. She pushes past him and takes a seat on the edge of the bed with a glare up in place of a weapon pulled on him.

"Song." He replies finally with an amused chortle as he swings into the room and sits across from her on the desk.

"Let's make this quick. What do you want? What can I do to make this all go away and you act professionally at work?"

Yifan pretends to think about it for a moment before shrugging his shoulder and smirking.

"I don't know... maybe you could give me back Zhou Mi."

She bites her lip and narrows her gaze at him.

"Easier said than done, anything else I can provide?"

"A good fuck."

Victoria stands abruptly at that and turns to leave.

Yifan chases her to the entry hall and pushes her up against the wall, not roughly, but with enough force that she knew she was being halted to listen.
"Listen here, little girl. You're never going to out live what you did. You're going to be stuck with that memory forever. The memory of his voice when he told you to wait."

She tries to hold her composure, fixing her bangs side swept to one side. She wanted to be unaffected and cool but she can't be. Not when Yifan comes at her. Not her old friend.

"You think this will all pass someday, but look at you. It's written all over your face. You're still living in the hell he left you in all those years ago, but you think you've moved on quite nicely don't you?"

Victoria pushes him away and walks for the door again.

"I'm going to take him away from you, Victoria." Yifan calls as she starts to leave.

She turns back to him with a vacant stare and Yifan licks his lips.

"I'm going to steal him like you stole Zhou Mi from me and there won't be anything you can do about it."

She swallows hard, dark round eyes looking him over in the hotel room, memorizing the way his eyes look down on her, the way his mouth sets in a smirk knowing he had won already and with that she turns and slams from the room. He turns back to his afternoon ritual and grabs a water bottle from the mini fridge with a lazy smile spreading across his face and a long, arrogant yawn full of care-free and self-importance. Song Victoria. He wouldn't be able to fuck her. He wouldn't be able to lie with his best friend's girl. He couldn't do it then and he couldn't do it now. And besides, he never really wanted her like that. The only thing he'd ever wanted from Victoria was for her to suffer just the way she made Zhou Mi suffer. Just the way she'd led Yifan to suffer.

His phone goes off with a sparkle of sounds and he pulls it from his pocket, uncapping the bottle with a smile and reading the text as he swallows down the icy water.

"On the way. Be there in 10."

"Make it 5." He replies and with that he slides the phone back into his pocket and chuckles to himself.