57. Divorce

Is it a luxurious room because of the deep wood, the thick crushed burgundy velvets and the ornate golden fixtures? The private dining suite in the restaurant, reserved by VIP has an aura of luxury all around, and perhaps this is because of the cherub and grapevine fixtures in gold, catching muted warm lights that reflect off of the heavy dark red drapes on the walls that frame ornately boxed artwork of bowls of fruit and flowers on black backdropped canvas. Or is the room luxurious because it's so dimly lit? Is it luxurious because in the darkness with only a chandelier overhead to send candlelit glows to the room you're afforded privacy of not having to look in ambient light at every detail of those around? Is not having to face others, carrying the air of importance that requires limited visuals, is that not also a luxury as well?

Goblets of red wine are set before each person seated at the table, a family affair, the last of many, the first with a full attendance. Mr. and Mrs. Park have come, though he hasn't left the house for anything more than doctors visits and the occasional board meeting in months. Mr. and Mrs. Byun are in attendance today, both looking healthy with their regained mental sanity, however, they keep their heads down under the circumstances. The Byun twins are seated side by side and Park Chanyeol, former CEO, sits on the other side of Baekhyun offering his quiet resolve. Baekhee keeps her gaze pointedly down as they sit around, taking quite sips without holding eye contact.

"So the Divorce was finalized today." Chanyeol offers and raises his glass.

"Hear! Hear! Cheers to that!" Baekhee offers with a soft chuckle, lifting her glass.

They connect the round of their goblets across Baekhyun and both cheerfully take a sip. The exchange followed by silence.

"This is not a joke, Mr. Park." The woman across from him says, hand nervously twisting her napkin.

"I don't take it lightly, Mrs. Byun." He replies.

And perhaps there would have been less discomfort in the room if the two were more remorseful for their actions, however, neither of the formerly wed duo seemed to be bothered by the finalization of their ended marriage. Not today. Not right now. Baekhee refuses her gaze from the adults entirely, carrying on as if she were simply at a dinner with friends, looking only at Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Her ex-husband, on the other hand, seems to be seeking out direct eye contact from each of the members at the table, a silent challenge against them to speak up.

"I still just can't understand why you're getting a divorce." Mrs. Park says somberly, swishing the wine around with disdainful sorrow.

Chanyeol reaches carefully under the table, hand caressing Baekhyun's where nobody can see and the two meet eyes. The anxiety in Baekhyun's eyes soften like butter under Chanyeol's warm reassuring smile, and his shoulders fall easily from their tightened height.

"We're not getting a divorce, Mom. We're already divorced. I just told you. And we even toasted to it."

"I will not toast to such a travesty. This is foolish. I can't believe that you went through with this. The media is going to have a field day." She growls, her aristocratic hand movement effectively belittling everyone in the room.

"The media is going to have a field day alright." Baekhyun says, speaking up as he grabs the glass of wine, gulping it half way down before setting it back down on the cream colored satin tablecloth with a heavy exhale.

"That was rude." Mr. Park says with his eyes narrowed.

"I'm sorry sir, I didn--"

"What's rude is your son's stance on this divorce. He's being awfully cavalier about everything, don't you think?" Mr. Byun suggests, eyes kept at the table, never addressing the retired and sickly former CEO.