21. Business trip

Baekhyun strokes the back of Jongin's hand with his thumb, leaving no space between their palms. The wind whispers between trees, breeze lifting the scent of morning dew caught on patches of artificial gardens forced between concrete buildings. It feels constricting, standing at the man's side with the weight of his own secrets prying open wounds of betrayal. Today, isn't the day to do this, but he knew he had to tell him. It was time to own up to his mistakes.

But there is no timing to confess something that could break the person you care for. Even if he isn't in love with Jongin, he cares for the man. He loves how safe he feels with him, and the way they always know how to be together without words. But Baekhyun knows exactly why he needs to do this. He knows why he needs to break up with this man.

Standing outside in front of Jongin's apartment, suitcase at his side, Baekhyun tightens his grip on Jongin's hand and tries to hide the tears that betrayed his strong resolve.

"Don't say it." Jongin says with finality.

"I have to." Baekhyun whispers with a wet sniffle.

They two keep their eyes down on the ground, neither turning towards the other, not moving to release their tight grip.

"I cheated. I lied. I'm no good for you."

Jongin nods his head in understanding, listening to the petite man at his side sniffle back fat tears wetting his cashmere muffler. There was no need for him to speak. Jongin knew what he needed to say and he knew what he wanted to say. But this is a vicious circle.

Jongin would ask him to stay, Baekhyun would cry and then they'd end up in the same position they're in now.

"I know you cheat and lie. But I still want you." Jongin admits resenting himself for the weak admission.

"You deserve better."

"I absolutely do." Jongin says looking up at the sky now, the sun lightening the evening navy.

This led to Baekhyun sobbing, his shoulders shaking with his choked cries of self loathing.

"You do..." He chokes out.

Jongin makes no move to comfort the man despite his emotional break down though. He only squeezes his hand tighter.

"I deserve to be with someone who only sees me the way you only see him."

Baekhyun tries to pull away but Jongin steers him into a hug, holding the man to his chest and feeling the shutters of his emotional distress crash against him.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm no good. I'm sorry I'm no good for you." He cries and Jongin swats the wetness from the corners of his eyes and pats the small brunette hair buried at his neck with comforting strokes.

"I'm not going to be able to cut you from my life, Baekhyun. I can't stop what I've started. Whatever we had, it has changed something in me... "

The taxi pulls up with a pitchy screech of brakes, but Baekhyun remains fused to Jongin. He doesn't let him go, crying still as the taxi driver steps out to the curb to as Jongin if he was the one who called for cab service.

Jongin nods his head and keeps comforting him.

"You have to go, Baekhyun."

"Why are you comforting your lying cheating ex boyfriend, you idiot." Baekhyun growls, pulling his face away, cheeks flushed and eyes red with his remorse.

"You're going to be late for your flight." He replies with a tense smile.

Baekhyun swipes the back of his hands over his cheeks, sniffling as he tries to regain his composure.