52. Return to me

"Mr. Byun, how many copies do you need for the minutes of the meeting?"

"15, I need to synopsis for Mr. Takeshi's last scripting too. I need that first!" Baekhyun takes a seat at his desk, answering the phone that's ringing and simultaneously gathers papers laid out from research to file away in the filing cabinet beneath the table top.

"Byun and Shogakukan Publishing Korea." He says into the receiver, wishing he had a bluetooth for this.

Or a secretary would be nice. Victoria would be best. He grabs a sticky note and jots down a number for contact, writing down a confirmation code for delivery notice before hanging up. He swings from the chair once more and out of his office, he hands over the sticky note to a staffing agency temp and they leave immediately to go fetch the package from downstairs.

"Mr. Byun, we have Arina on the phone but she's not available to talk right now. Can we reschedule?" A woman asks, standing up with panic stricken eyes.

"Of course we can. Get it before the close of business today." He says with a stern smile and she nods her head, sitting back down.

Opening day with a month before publication, and he's already comfortable with his team and his environment, the only thing he's uncertain of is whether he'll be good at his role. He glances at his watch, 4:30. 30 minutes until he closes up shop for the day. He promised that this week he would leave by 5 every day and starting next week he'd stay later and later, letting work take over his whole life. But for today, for this week, for just right now... He'd let himself acclimate to life in Korea. That also gives him a week to figure out how the hell he's going to handle the Chanyeol situation.

He closes his door behind him when he steps back into his office, stroking the uncracked stack of books on his desk included in the mystery package from Chanyeol. Somehow he'd known though there was no sign on it or notes other than the sticky note on top stating From Victoria. When Baekhee called him and invited him over, he had been ready to make up a hundred reasons why he couldn't come. But there was something in her voice when she told him she needed to talk to him face to face, that Chanyeol wouldn't be there.

"Pack a bag to stay a while." She said before hanging up.

He picks out an envelope sealed with strong on his desk and unwinds the coil at the top, pulling out a thick stack of paperwork, absent in his thoughts.

"I've asked for a divorce, Baekhyun. I've asked for a divorce, and there's a good chance that I'm going to lose my house, my husband, and our family in the end."

Her eyes as she'd spoken were fearful but resolute, a strength he didn't know she'd had in her up until that moment.

"He's a good man, you know? Park Chanyeol. He's not the man you thought, nor is he the man I made him out to be. His heart never wavered in all of this time... I'll never be able to give you back what I've taken from you. Time is irreplaceable and for that, Baekhyun, I am sorry. But I'm not sorry that I married him because at least I tried to do my part." She said, looking for the first time, like an adult.

No more did she wear ugly tweed suits and try too hard to be the wife of a CEO. Sitting in tailored plaid pants and an expensive brand name sweater, she was the embodiment of class, in posture and in words. Whatever anxiety he had about seeing Chanyeol fizzled, seeing the woman that she became under his roof. Waiting for so long that he fell to sleep on their over-sized couch, he wanted so badly to thank him, to properly look at him and thank him for all that he did for his family. But the picture of composure, suit and tie, never a single hair out of place, tall and confident CEO, Park Chanyeol had crumbled to the floor before him, sinking like a stone on the spot when he saw him in his house. His fingers shook violently, his eyes watered and just like that, he was disarmed of all that he planned to say, left with only thankfulness and a stirring in his chest.