40. The Wedding

Baekhee crossed the room, arching her reflection in the window, a blurred promise of intricate white details. The tabloids had eaten up this love story, the young carefree débutante daughter of a ceo with a struggling company melts the heart of one of korea's secret most eligible bachelor CEOs. This was their day. She can hear the musicians warming up their instruments, hear the crowds gathering. This is her happily ever after that she sought for so long, her ticket to the good place, her promise to be somebody's significance. This is it, and yet... This is her moment and yet, she's can't find the energy to be happy because her nerves are shot. Keeping baekhyun on track and distracted with his plans to move for a week was the most tedious job in the world. Talking mama park into setting the wedding on the heels of the engagement to have a well established marriage by the time the merger goes through was relatively easy in the end, and Chanyeol gave her the same tired smile and squeeze of his hand with what she was registering as his blanket response to everything these days: "sure, becky bug, that sounds nice."

Baekhyun kept himself holed up at kyungsoo 's house again and only ventured to the house during the day to sneak clothes and tidy up the room he'd be leaving behind, insisting on dusting and sorting out the things on his desk, but from what she gathered, he seemed to be removing traces of working for her fiancé or anything that could remotely remind him of the man.

Baekhee knocks on the door and clears her throat, calling out to the man on the other side as softly as she could.

"Chanyeoliepolie?"

With some clatter from the other side of the door her heart starts to race, maybe Baekhyun hadn't gone to the airport or turned around on the way, maybe they were on the other side of the door, would he call off the wedding? Is this her anxiety? Is this why she has unresolved feelings on her wedding day?

But Chanyeol opens the door looking calmer than she thought he would if he was cheating. She can smell vodka on his breath and realizes in an instant that he was calming his nerves with a bit of liquid courage. Nothing quite says cold feet like a liquored up groom.

"What's wrong, Becky?"

"Nothing, I need to talk to you."

"It's bad luck for the groom to see the bride on the wedding day, Baekhee." he says sounding stern and serious for a moment before softening.

"It's important."

"What's wrong?"

She notes the tension in his brow and pushes herself into the room. Chanyeol reluctantly closes the door and crosses to the room to sit next to her and she realizes he's yet to compliment her dress. He doesn't seem taken aback by her beauty or tears at the sight of his wife in her wedding dress. And she understands that they aren't the typical couple marrying for love, but there's a part of her that resents his lack of authenticity on this day of all days.

"It's about Baekhyun..."

"Baekh..."

There in the corner of his mouth, a small twitch, the desire to say his name even controlling his every muscle. Chanyeol's interest suddenly illustrated in a whisper across his features, slight enough not to ruffle his composure... A pull on him that she didn't have.

"What about him?" He takes on a slightly more urgent tone with this and she holds the words in her mouth, watching his discomfort build. "Is he okay?"

She smiles and pats his upper thigh with familiarity and he squirms uncomfortably and tries for a smile that comes off more like irritation than comfort.

"What is it?" He asks again.

"He's fine, honey. But he... He left Korea last night. He said he wanted me to tell you this cryptic message about feeling guilt over something."