43. An Accidental Meeting

Yifan has no interest in staying in Japan, even one minute more than was required but there is one guilty pleasure about Japan that he can't coax from his mind, and that is his trips to the family restaurant. He likes sitting there, surrounded by families and students studying and planning parties and events, studying with coffee and arguing. There's a liveliness to these places and since he's landed in Japan, he's thought of nothing else. Arguably, it's the only reason why he came on business trips to Japan. And as he's browsing the menu, dark street illuminated by an orange street lamp cuts across the booth table he sits at and the waitor appears quickly, professionally with his eyes down, respectful and ready to work.

"Welcome to Jonasan's. Here's your glass of water, are you comfortable placing your order or shall I come again, sir?"

Yifan waves the waitor off, uninterested in his needs but pauses when he notes the birthmark on the waitor's thumb. He grabs him by the wrist and the man looks down at him, bewildered and surprised.

"Byun Baekhyun?!" He barks with more than just a little surprise in his expression, whether he meant for that to show or not.

What luck. What special perfect luck has been brought to him today? A gift from the heavens in the body of a short, minxy little man. This is his in. If he can get Baekhyun back to Korea, he will at last have another pawn to play. He will use Victoria's investment in her job against her this time, because like with Zhoumi, she has no heart and using love doesn't seem to hurt her. But this... this could work. Seated across from him after his shift had ended, Baekhyun sips a mug of hot tea with a slightly embarrassed look on his face.

"How have you been?" He asks hesitantly.

Yifan examines the look of interest, the curiosity evident on his expression, questions he doesn't ask.

"I'm fine. Park Chanyeol is fine. We're all fine. You're the one who went AWOL. Exactly, what happened between you and Park? He was googily-eyed over you for months and then he up and married your sister."

Baekhyun's eyes narrow and dart for the window at their side. The buildings obstruct any concrete view of anything but more signs for more place tucked one atop the other.

"It was nothing. He and I just didn't see eye to eye on things."

"Did you break up with him?"

Yifan twists his cup around between long fingers, his hawk's beak pucker touching his angular mouth.

"No. We were never together. Yeah... I know you know about the... the things going on--"

"Some of them." Yifan interjects.

"Right, some of the things going on. But there was really nothing there. He made the right choice. He and I are in-laws now and I'm glad he and my sister are doing well."

Yifan reaches across the table and puts his hand over Baekhyun's, eyes tense with the seriousness.

"Come back to Korea. Come with me, and we can make it work. They're not happy on the inside like they put on on the outside. I know he still misses you. And it's clear, from this, that you miss him too."

Baekhyun slumps back in the booth and nods his head.

"Wu Yifan, you're a nice guy. And I'm glad you care so much about Park Chanyeol's happiness. But if you really care for him, you'll leave me far away from him. That's the best thing that you can do for Chanyeol at this time. He's better off this way."

A waitress comes to the table with a pear topped whipped icing sponge cake, putting it down before Baekhyun with a wink.

"Please, at least come with me for a weekend. Just come see your parents and think about it."