Chapter 53:P Quidditch and Dementors

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief as the door closed.

"Are you alright, dear?"

She nodded but I could see her wiping her tears.

"Hermione..."

She looked up at me, sighing before speaking.

"Why ask the question if he doesn't want an answer?"

"I wish I knew, dear... I wish I knew. I'm sorry for what occurred there."

"H-he called me an insufferable know-it-all," she whispered. I stood up, moving closer to her, and taking her hands in mine.

"I'm so sorry. I don't know what's gotten into him today but I can assure you I'll be having a word with him. You are not an insufferable know-it-all. You are a bright, young student... truly the brightest witch of your age."

I saw a smile spread across her face as she wiped her tears.

"And just so you know, though I'm sure you already did, your answer was right, love. I was quite proud of you and I'm sorry for the way he acted."

"Thank you, Professor. I'm glad you were there."

I smiled at her. She opened her mouth as if she had something to say but then quickly decided not to.

"What is it, dear?"

"Oh, uh... nothing, Professor."

"You can tell me anything, dear... or ask me anything. What's on your mind?"

"Don't take this the wrong way, Professor, but... what do you see in him? You're so kind and he's... well, he can be..." she trailed off.

"Kind of an ass at times?" I finished, chuckling.

"You said it, not me," she replied, laughter filling the room. "Is he at least good to you?" she asked softly.

"Yes, dear," I replied, smiling. "He is very good to me. The thing about Professor Snape is he doesn't do well with... well people," I laughed. "But once you get to know him, he's a good man."

"As long as he's good to you... I suppose that's all that matters," she smiled.

"Thank you, dear. I'll let you get to wherever you have to go next. I just wanted to make sure you were alright."

"Thank you, professor," she replied, standing up and giving me a hug before leaving the office, quickly running past Severus who was waiting for me.

Severus moved toward me but I quickly walked past him.

"Darling?"

"Don't you 'darling' me!" I hissed.

"Y/n, what's the problem?"

"Are you serious right now? It was not even a few weeks ago that you promised you would be nicer to the students and then you do this!" I hissed, gesturing around the classroom. "And what the hell was that lesson today, huh?! Are you trying to get Remus found out?"

"The students are learning nothing in this class. They are incompetent and speak out of turn."

"They are kids, Severus! And by the way Hermione knew the answer! You just didn't want to call on her! What the hell is wrong with you?" I hissed, turning toward the door.

"Don't you dare talk to me like that!" he responded, grabbing my arm and turning me around. I tried to pull my arm away but he kept his grip firm.

"Let go of me right now, Severus, or I swear you'll regret it."