Chapter 27: Nothing Compared to You

"Because she's seeing someone," Severus growled as his arm wrapped around my waist.

"And who might that be?" Lockhart scoffed.

I looked at Severus, waiting for his approval, and he nodded softly at me.

"I'm dating Severus," I replied, feeling his breath fanning the skin of my neck as he glared at Lockhart. Gilderoy's eyes flicked back and forth between Severus and I, confusion crossing his face.

"You're dating him?" Lockhart asked, chuckling slightly.

"Yes, I am," I hissed, wrapping my arms around Severus.

"You could do much better, love," Lockhart snorted.

Severus looked down and I felt my anger rise, seeing the insecurity in him as he looked away from me.

"Don't call me that!" I hissed, my voice dangerously low. "And how about you shut your mouth! You don't know what you're talking about!"

"I know that you could do better. Why be with him when you could be with someone like me?"

"Someone like you!?" I yelled, no longer able to control my volume. "An arrogant, egotistical, asshole!? Why would I want someone like you when I have someone like Severus?"

Gilderoy went silent as I took Severus's hand, leading him out of the Great Hall, Minerva and Albus following closely behind us.

"Y/n, that was awesome!" Minerva exclaimed. I laughed as Severus wrapped one arm around my waist, pulling me next to him.

"I think someone was jealous," Minerva giggled.

"Quiet, Minerva," Severus hissed. "I'm not jealous of that pompous dunderhead."

"Sure, you're not, Severus," she replied, giggling.

I snuggled closer to Severus and I felt him relax as he held my body close to his.

"Come on, Albus. Let's leave these two lovebirds alone," Minerva said as she began dragging Albus away from us. When they turned a corner I turned toward Severus, burying my face in his chest.

"Excellent work, little one. I definitely think you took him down a few pegs," Severus chuckled, pressing his lips to the top of my head as he buried his face in my hair.

"Good," I replied before pulling away. "Are you alright?"
"Of course, love. Thank you for sticking up for me. You said some really nice things."

I could still see the insecurity in his eyes, though I could tell his words were genuine. I cupped his face in my hands before speaking.

"I meant every word, Severus. He is nothing compared to you and he never will be."

I watched a single tear slip down Severus's cheek before he pressed his lips to mine. The kiss was soft, conveying so much emotion in this single act. He did not try to dominate the kiss, simply allowing our lips to move in sync against one another as he held my body against his. When we finally pulled away, he held my face in his hands, pushing a lock of hair behind my ear.

"I love you so much, Y/n."

"I love you too, Sev."