Chapter 36: Gone

I woke a few hours later, clutching the blanket tightly in my fists as the sweat stuck to my skin from a dream I could no longer remember. Severus was nowhere to be seen and I felt my heart racing as I slowly sat up.

"Severus!?" I called, growing worried as silence settled over the house. "Sev!" I yelled, getting up from the couch on wobbly legs.

"Y/n?!" Severus called as he ran into the room. "Darling, what's wrong?"

I quickly ran toward him, wrapping my arms around his neck as he pulled my body against his, keeping his arms around me tightly.

"Darling, what happened?"

"I woke up and you were gone!" I accused, my body shaking as he held me.

"I'm sorry, darling. Albus, Minerva, and I left the room because we didn't want to wake you. I was just outside the room, love."

My breathing was heavy as he held me close to him, pressing his chest against mine as I buried my head in the crook of his neck, listening to the sound of his breathing and heart. He took several, slow, deep breaths as he encouraged me to do the same.

"Come with me, love. Let's get you into bed."

"I've been sleeping practically all day, Severus."

"I know, love, and clearly you needed it. You're burning up," he said as he pressed his hand to my forehead. "I think the stress is getting to you." He took my hand, leading me toward my bedroom. He pushed open the door, sitting me on the bed, before going to my dresser and selecting a pair of comfortable pajamas. He crossed the room, standing over me, as he lifted my chin.

"May I?"

I nodded and he began removing my clothes, quickly covering me with the warm pajamas, and helping me slip beneath the covers. He turned to leave the room but I grabbed his arm, pulling him toward the bed.

"Don't go..."

I could see the tears forming in his eyes as I begged him not to leave. He nodded before letting Albus and Miverva know he would be sleeping in my room before returning. He moved to the other side of the bed, slipping under the covers, before pulling my body against his.

"I've got you, darling," he whispered, burying his face in my hair. "I'll keep you safe... forever."