Chapter 52: A Curious Lesson

A few days later I was walking through the corridor after the feast when I heard a great commotion near the Gryffindor common room portrait. I quickly made my way up the stairs toward the portrait, seeing a group of students surrounding it.

"No one is to enter this dormitory until it has been fully searched," I heard Percy say from the top of the stairs. Albus walked up, standing next to me as he took in the scene, filch following closely behind. As soon as he saw the scratches on the portrait he quickly began pushing through the crowd as several people yelled to move out of the way for him. Albus touched the portrait, his fingers tracing the long scratches in the canvas.

"Mr. Filch, round up the ghosts. Tell them to search every painting in the castle and find the Fat Lady."

"There's no need for ghosts, Professor. The Fat Lady is there," Filch responded, pointing to a portrait across the corridor. The crowd began running toward the portrait, nearly knocking over Percy in the process.

"Dear lady... who did this to you?" Albus asked as he reached the portrait.

"Eyes like the devil, he's got... and a soul as dark as his name. It's him, Headmaster... the one they all talk about. He's here... somewhere in the castle! Sirius Black!" she replied, letting out a shriek. Albus's eyes flicked to me briefly before turning to Argus.

"Secure the castle, Mr. Filch. The rest of you... to the Great Hall!"

The crowd dispersed as Argus began making preparations to secure the castle. Albus turned to me, gently placing a hand on my arm. I had frozen, unable to move.

"Come with me, dear," he said, pulling me from my thoughts. He led me away from the crowd. As we were walking through the corridor, a swish of a black cloak turned the corner before Severus came into view. His eyes locked with mine and he quickly ran toward me.

"Y/n! Thank Merlin!" he exclaimed, pulling me against his chest.

"Excellent. Now that you're here, Severus. I need the two of you to search the dungeons. I must consult with the other Professors but I was not comfortable leaving Y/n unattended with Black on the loose," Albus said.

"Of course. Thank you, Albus," Severus said, keeping my body close to his. Albus quickly left and Severus looked down at me.

"I heard the news that Black had been in the castle... I heard that he had attacked a woman and I- I thought..."

"No, Sev... I'm alright. He attacked the Gryffindor common room portrait. Scared the Fat Lady out of her wits but she's alright... we're all alright."

I felt Severus's body relax as he held me, breathing a sigh of relief as he kissed my forehead.

"Come, let's check the dungeons."

***

 From all over the castle I heard the sounds of doors closing and locks clicking as Filch secured the castle. Severus and I had searched the dungeons, deeming them clear, before returning to the Great Hall where the students were sleeping.

"We've done the dungeons, Headmaster, no sign of Black nor anywhere else in the castle," Severus said as we entered the Great Hall, meeting up with Albus, Fliius, and Argus.

"I didn't really expect him to linger."

"Remarkable feat... don't you think? To enter Hogwarts castle on one's own... completely undetected," Severus said to Albus as we walked down the aisle between the students.

"Quite remarkable, yes," Albus answered.

"Any theories on how he might've managed it?"

"Many. Each as unlikely as the next."