353: I know it's hard

December 19th - Prompt: Christmas tree

------------

"Ed?"

Edmund looked up from his book, giving his brother a questioning look.

"We're gonna decorate the Christmas tree if you wanna join us?" Peter said slowly. "Mum's made hot chocolate and Susan and Lucy have been baking too."

Edmund bit his lip, swallowing hard.

"Come on Ed," Peter sighed, walking into the room and sitting down on the edge of Edmunds bed. "I know it's - hard, without Dad, but he wouldn't want you to be acting like this, he'd want you to have fun, it's Christmas after all."

Edmund sighed. "I know he would." He mumbled. "But that's easier said than done. We've never spent a Christmas without Dad."

Peter nodded slowly. "It's going to be hard without him, I'm struggling too." He said. "But he'd want us to be happy and not change anything, do it for him, yeah?"

Edmund stared at his brother for a while before he nodded and placed his book down. "Okay," He breathed. "I'll try."

Peter smiled, "Come on." He breathed, standing from the bed. "Let's go eat all the cookies the girls have made."

This got a quiet laugh from Edmund as he too stood. "Is it Gingerbread?" He asked as the two made their way downstairs.

"From the smell earlier I'd say yes." Peter told him, entering the living room where the others were.

Lucy beamed when she saw them, grabbing the plate of cookies and holding it out for them to have one.

"Thanks." Peter said gently, taking a cookie as Edmund also took one, but he kept quiet as he chewed on the edge.

"Edmund?"

Edmund glanced at his Mum, a small frown on his face.

"You wanna put the star on the top once the tree is decorated?" Helen asked gently, a sympathetic look on her face as she held a mug of hot chocolate.

Edmund took a deep breath, before he smiled gently. "Yeah." He breathed. "Sounds good."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆