362: What else is new?

December 28th - Prompt: If we get caught, I'm blaming you

-----------

Peter sat going through his wordsearch, curled up on the sofa under a blanket, the fire burning in the corner of the living room.

It was just him and Edmund awake now, everyone else having gone to bed, and his little brother - well, maybe not so little anymore at the age of nineteen - was sat beside him, reading Sherlock Holmes for the tenth time.

They'd been sat in silence for maybe half an hour, before Edmund looked up from his book. "I'm hungry." He mumbled.

Peter smiled a little. "When aren't you hungry?" He teased gently, spotting another word and circling it.

Edmund gave him a playful glare. "I dunno what we're gonna eat though." He pointed out.

Peter nodded slowly. "Yeah," He agreed. "Mum's going shopping tomorrow so there's probably not a lot in."

Edmund seemed to think for a while, before a mischievous grin made its way onto his face. "Susan made cookies." He said slowly.

Peter raised an eyebrow. "For tomorrow." He said firmly. "She specifically told us not to eat them."

"Oh come on," Edmund said. "She probably won't even be here tomorrow, isn't she going out with friends?"

Peter swallowed hard. "Yeah," He muttered, not sounding too happy. "But what else is new?"

Edmund stared at his brother for a moment, before sighing. "Come on," He said. "I'm hungry and want a cookie, and if she has a problem with that I'll just say it can be an apology for her shouting at me earlier."

Peter's heart ached as Edmund stood and left the room, heading for the kitchen.

He hesitated greatly, before following after him, entering the kitchen when he saw Edmund bringing down the plate from the cupboard. "If we get caught I'm blaming you." He pointed out.

Edmund shook his head, not hesitating in grabbing the biggest cookie there was and taking a bite.

Peter copied, before sinking into one of the seats at the kitchen table. "Are you okay?" He asked suddenly. "After earlier..."

Edmund froze for a moment, before nodding. "I'm used to it." He said slowly. "We all are to be honest."

Peter nodded slowly, before sighing. "Maybe we can try and get her to come with us next time we see the Professor and Polly, and Jill and Eustace."

"That's next month isn't it?" Edmund checked.

Peter nodded. "Yeah," He breathed. "I doubt she'll come, but we can always ask."

He took a bite of his cookie, before glancing up at the clock. "We should think about heading to bed soon." He breathed. "It's getting late."

Edmund agreed, and finished off his cookie, brushing the crumbs off his shirt before taking a deep breath. "There's still hope for Susan Pete," He murmured, placing a hand on his older brother's shoulder. "She's not gone yet, that I know for sure."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆