325: I can't do this - Part One

November 21st - Prompt: The High King

---------

"Peter?"

"What?!"

Edmund took a step back at Peter's snappy tone, looking a bit taken aback by it.

Peter stared at his brother for a moment, before taking a deep breath. "Sorry," He murmured, running a hand over his face.

Edmund swallowed hard, nodding slowly. "You okay?" He asked quietly.

Peter collapsed onto the sofa. "No." He muttered.

Edmund frowned a little, wandering over to sit beside him. "What's up?" Hs questioned.

Peter sighed. "I've just got so much to do at the moment, I don't know if I can carry on." He choked. "I'm trying to prevent a full scale war from happening, I've got a mountain of paperwork sat up on my desk, I've got about twenty meetings to attend in the next week, and I've already been to four in the last two days. I'm trying to make sure everything is in order for the Lords arriving next week, not to mention there's a group of people who are clearly out to see me screw up, I can feel them glaring at me when I walk down the corridor, I dunno what their problem is but it's getting on my nerves. I've got a bunch of important people breathing down my neck, waiting for me to finish said paperwork I've got to do. On top of all that, I'm trying to keep you safe from that assassin that's on the lose, we all know he's out to kill you and only you, and I can't for the life of me figure out where he is, and until he's found your life is in danger-"

"Peter," Edmund cut him off quickly, because he could tell Peter was getting worked up. "Calm down."

Peter shut his mouth, taking a deep, shaky breath before burying his face in his hands. "I just can't deal with the stress." He choked out. "I'm hardly sleeping, I've lost my appetite, and I just feel like exploding."

Edmund sighed sadly, placing a hand on his older brother's shoulder. "Maybe that's just what you need to do." He said gently.

Peter turned his head to face him, frowning. "What?" He murmured.

"Explode." Edmund said with a small shrug.

Peter snorted. "Probably not a good idea." He breathed.

"It might release some of the stress you're feeling." Edmund said with a small smile.

"Yeah, okay." Peter muttered, before burying his face in his hands again.

Edmund hesitated for a moment, before taking a deep breath. "Okay, listen." He breathed. "How about I help you out with some of that paperwork?"

Peter sighed. "I wish you could," He grumbled. "But most of it I've got to read it over and sign it, I need to properly read it to know exactly what I'm signing, if I don't do that, then goodness knows what would happen."

Edmund nodded sadly, before taking a deep breath. "What if I went to some of your meetings for you?" He suggested.

Peter shook his head. "I'm the High King," He muttered. "I have to be there whether you are or not."

Edmund bit his lip, but he understood. "I could try and get Susan off your back about the welcome party for those Lords?" He suggested.