Sanctuary

Christian and John spend time together at a sanctuary.

"Welcome to the Red Fur Sanctuary." The head zoologist greeted Christian and John.

"Thank you for having us." John shook hands with him. "I apologize for my mother's absence, but she has gotten the flu and asked my brother and I to check everything for her."

"I understand. I hope she feels better. As you know, this sanctuary is dedicated to protecting near extinct animals. Your parents have founded this safe haven thirty years ago." The zoologist is explaining everything while guiding them through the main corridor of the staff facility. "And we appreciate the new equipment needed for the medical station. A few of our animals wouldn't have made it without them around. And we have also welcomed a few newborns into the world." He pointed at a glass window where they are showing vets examining baby Hawksbill sea turtles.

"Awe." Christian cooed making the zoologist chuckle.

"If you'd like, we can introduce you to them."

His eyes lit up. "Really? Count us in!"

"Christian." John started before being tugged by his brother.

"C'mon John!" he shouted enthusiastically before entering the lab. And a couple minutes later, Christian is happily cradling a baby turtle in his arms.

"Many of their species have been wiped out due to people killing them for their shells." The zoologist explained.

"That's awful." Christian said as he's petting the turtle's head with his index finger. "Wouldn't you agree John? Uh, John?" he asked as he sees his eldest brother barely holding an infant turtle by its shell with a handkerchief, and the little guy is moving its arms and legs in an attempt to escape.

"It's very dreadful." He verbalized, and Christian couldn't tell if he was referring to the poachers, or the little turtle. The staff must think the latter with stares they are giving him.

After visiting the infant sea turtles, Christian and John are in an office going through paperwork on repairs, remodeling, additions, and supplies needed for the sanctuary.

"And we'd really appreciate it if we can get the new gorilla exhibits ready by Mid-November." The head zoologist said.

"No need to worry." John said back. "Everything should be done before Thanksgiving. Now, about the tour guides."

Christian's eyes widened. "Tour guides? This isn't a private place?" the zoologist smiled while John is narrowing his eyes at him.

"This is a non-profit organization, so in addition to educating people, funds and donations from these tour guides helps pay for the welfare of the animals. And us, of course." He added. "We can arrange for a private tour for you two after this." He stopped himself with John's evil glare. "Or sometime more convenient for you."

Christian's eyes sparkled in anticipation. "Can we?" he asked zestfully before bristling in fright making him frown. "What's wrong?" he asked.

John frowned back. "Let's just say, I am not an animal person. So let's just drop it, and you can come back with the others another time." guilt began to creep with how sullen Christian looked.

"Okay." he mumbled sadly.

After the meeting, they are cruising in a tourist golf-cart painted with safari colors on the exterior. "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you." Christian cheered.

John crossed his arms and huffed in annoyance. 'How in the world did I give in?' he's wondering before looking at Christian's eager face before looking away.