Violin

Christian can play instruments.

"I don't know Chelsea. It's been a while since I've even touched an instrument." Christian has his phone to his ear. "Huh? What if. I mean." he sighed. "Fine. When is it? Maybe I can get some practice in before then. Okay. I can make that work. I'll see you guys then. Bye."

He hung up and sighed again. "What was that about?" Jason asked from his seat on the couch.

Christian smiled sheepishly and scratched the back of his neck. "That was my friend Chelsea. She grew up with me in both foster homes. She arranged a concert for our old orchestra band this coming week, and convinced me to join."

Jason looked up intrigued. "You can play instruments?"

Christian rolled his eyes. "Yes. I learned how to play classical piano and guitar in my first foster home. Then I learned how to play the violin in middle school since all the other curricular activities were taken. Even band was full, so I took orchestra."

Jason smiled wide. "You sure are full of surprises, aren't you? What else can you do that I am unaware of?"

Christian blew a raspberry. "Let's see, I also took choir and theater in high school, and I can speak Spanish since my second foster mother watched a lot of Novellas when I was there."

Jason laughed making Christian scowl. "What's so funny?"

He got up and pulled him into a hug. "Nothing. I'm just soaking all this new information in."

Christian is wiggling out of his grip. "Yeah. Yeah. Now let go, so I can find a place that leases instruments. I need to prepare for the concert."

"Why don't you ask your father to borrow one?" Jason mumbled. "He's a count that's given your siblings lessons while growing up, so I am sure he has some hidden away. That should save you some money."

When Christian was able to free himself from Jason, he dialed his father and he picked up after a couple of rings. "Hello."

"Hey dad. It's Christian. Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you have any violins I can borrow. I have this concert with some old classmates, and I need one to practice and to perform with."

There is nothing but silence. "Um dad? Are you there?"

"Did I hear you correctly? You want to borrow an instrument, so you can play it?"

Christian sighed. "Yes, but if you don't have any I can look elsewhere."

"No! I mean, I have a few at home that you are more than welcome to use. Come over tomorrow, and you can pick one of your choice."

Christian smiled. "Thanks dad. I owe you one."

The next day, Christian's siblings entered the family manor and hear the sound of a violin being played. "Oh no. Is dad going to ask us to perform somewhere?" Sarah asked.

Roger is already heading out the door. "I am not sticking around to find out."

Jesse pulled him by the ear making him wince. "Oh no you don't. We are all in this together. Whether you like it or not." He crossed his arms and is sulking.

Jacob sighed. "Let's get this over with, and see what he wants." they headed to the music room, and are surprised to see not their father playing, but Christian.

He is sparkling as he plays Vivaldi Spring Concerto as their parents listen contently. Troy popped out of nowhere. "I see you are just as surprised as I was." he said.

Ashley is the only one able to speak. "What the heck? First, he can dance, and now this." John entered the room with the others following in time for Christian to finish.

Their father clapped his hands. "Wonderful. Absolutely marvelous."

Their mother is sobbing. "Are you okay mom?" she nodded as Calvin handed her a tissue.

That's when they noticed the others, and Christian felt nervous. "Hey guys." he hid the violin behind his back.

"Don't try hiding it bro, we saw you playing." Jacob walked up and got in his face making him stiffen. "Now talk." Christian exhaled before telling them what he told Jason.

When he finished, their father rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I am impressed. You played well for not performing for a couple of decades."

Christian blushed bashfully. "Thanks. I'm relieved I didn't lose my touch. I was afraid I would forget how to play."

"What are you going to be performing?" Sarah asked curiously.

"I know for sure that I am doing Vivaldi's four seasons as well as Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Which reminds me, can I practice it on the piano too?" he asked making his father beam.

"Of course you can! As long as I can listen, and we attend your concert!" he is sparkling very brightly.

Christian made a face. "I guess there was a price to pay with asking him after all. I am giving Jason a piece of my mind when I see him tonight."

His siblings smirked. "That's what happens when you reveal something like this about yourself. Too bad you didn't grow up with us, so he could focus on you and not bother us."

Christian stared at them. "If I grew up with you guys, chances are, I wouldn't have even learned." that made them laugh before their father grabbed him by the arm.

"No time to lolly gag son. Let's hear you practice." he said as he happily escorted him to the black Grand-piano in the center of the room as his siblings watch in amusement.

And a few days later, Christian is performing on stage while his family watches from the audience. "How is it he sounds better than when he was at home?" Sarah asked as they watch him sparkle and play passionately as the humans feel themselves being sucked into the music.

She looks to the side to see John with his eyes closed but smiling. The others noticed and are flabbergasted. "Is he okay?" Jason asked as their parents are filming.

"I am not sure." Jesse said. "I've never seen him like this."

Ashley is poking John. "Earth to John. Are you still with us?" he ignored her as he allows himself to get lost in the soothing music.