Uncle Leopold

Christian meets his father's brother.

Christian's siblings are in the new family mansion their parents purchased in the same city that Christian, Jason, and Sarah attended college. "Uncle Leopold is finally getting married huh." 

"Yeah, but he needs one of us to go be a witness on our side of the family for him to get hitched." Jesse leaned forward. "The question is, who's going to stay with him until then?"

Everyone stared at John and he crossed his arms. "Don't look at me." he said. "Father and I have important business coming up, so you'll have to figure out who's getting thrown under the bus among yourselves."

The others stared at him with a mixture of disbelief and annoyance. "I speak for everyone when I say none of us wants to deal with dad's brother. He's an a-hole. Can't you go, and one of us can help dad?" Ashley pleaded with big eyes.

John frowned at his siblings. "Sorry, there's no way around it. Besides, it would be nice if someone else accompanied our uncle. None of you have visited him since we were in our pre-teen years."

Roger huffed. "Be that way. How are we going to decide which of us will be forced into staying with him for a few weeks."

At that moment, they hear Christian's voice. "Hi guys! Sorry I'm late!"

Ashley's eyes lit up with hope. "Hello sucker. I mean, hello little brother! In here!" she sang.

Christian entered. "Hey guys, the restaurant I was delivering for was running behind, so."

"Yeah, yeah. Interesting." Ashley interrupted him and wrapped her arm around his neck. "Say, do you remember uncle Leopold?"

He blinked. "Sure, you guys mentioned him here and there. He's dad's older brother right?"

She nodded. "That's the one. And we just learned that he's getting married but won't be able to unless someone from our family comes to witness it. And we figured since you haven't met yet that this would be the perfect opportunity to get to know him."

Christian looked at them confused. "Why can't we all go? That's how weddings normally work."

Everyone stiffened. "As much as we'd love to, we are far too busy to make it." Roger is assisting Ashley in trying to convince Christian to go.

Christian narrowed his eyes. "What makes you think I can go? I have work too."

Jacob snorted. "You are a Door Dash delivery guy that delivers food on a bicycle. Why don't you let dad buy you a car? It would make things a lot easier for you."

Christian scowled. "No way. Then I'd feel indebted to him, plus it gives me good exercise." Everyone is staring at him. "What?" he asked annoyed.

"Nothing." Sarah smiled reassuringly.

Christian narrowed his eyes a second time. "Why are you guys insisting that I go so badly?"

"Nothing." Ashley said. "We just thought it would be nice for you to meet more of your family. If you're worried about work we can take turns covering for you. And if you can't go then our poor uncle can't get married. And he's been waiting for the perfect girl to come along, and now that he's found her after many centuries."

She's beginning to tear up. "I'll never forgive myself if the wedding gets cancelled because we weren't able to go." She began sobbing and her grip on Christian tightened.

And before he can blink; he's going to meet his uncle. 'How did they convince me to go to Italy for a month?' he remembers his siblings volunteering to cover his shifts until he returns and he couldn't help remembering everyone looking super relieved when he agreed to go. 'What are they hiding?'

The cab parked in front of a fancy building that seems to house condos. He looked with wide unbelieving eyes. "Wow." He paid the driver and got out. He approached the doorman and he growled menacingly at him. "Um, hi." Christian is trying to be brave. "My name is Christian. I'm looking for my uncle. Leopold Dubois. He was expecting me, I hope." He said timidly.

The doorman observed Christian shaking with his backpack on his back. "Penthouse." He said before opening the door to let him in. Christian thanked him before cautiously entering into the building and hopped into the elevator. The doorman growled at him as he waved before the doors shut closed.

He exited the elevator and walked down the hall before knocking on the door. There's no answer. He knocked a second time and still no answer. "Hello! Uncle Leo! Are you here?!" he knocked louder this time. "Uncle Leo! It's me, Christian! Are you okay?!"

The door yanked open, and Christian screamed and jumped. There's a tall man with short black hair and hazel brown eyes boring into his soul as a dark aura surrounds him.

"Did you just call me Uncle Leo?" he asked angrily.

Christian bristled in fright. "No, I mean yes. I thought it would be easier than saying uncle Leopold. I mean, try saying that three times fast. "Uncle Leopold, Uncle Leopold, Uncle Leopold. Hm, wasn't as hard as I thought." If possible, his uncle's aura grew darker.

"Um." He stretched out a shaky hand. "I am Christian. Your long-lost nephew." He chuckled nervously before sitting on the sofa tensely as his handsome uncle is smoking a cigarette looking bored.

"Um, your home is nice." He tried breaking the silence.

His uncle huffed and puffed the cigarette. "Not really. This is a down-size compared to my other homes. I come here to get away from people. I only let you in because your father wouldn't stop pestering me."

Christian made a deadpan face. "Is that so?" he asked. "Well, congratulations on getting married. I was told it took centuries to find the right person."

His uncle smirked. "Who told you that garbage? I am only marrying the daughter of an old acquaintance just to get everyone off my back. She agreed to marry me for the same reason."

Christian looked at him incredulously. "That's awful."

His uncle chuckled. "Let me guess. You believe in all good that's in the world. Including fairy tale weddings. You poor naïve fool. It's no wonder you are here. You were probably easy to manipulate."

Christian looked at him with wide eyes. "What? They wouldn't." he shut his mouth shut as he remembers their conversation.

"So I was right." his uncle smiled smugly before looking surprised when Christian's eyes narrowed angrily.

"Excuse me for a moment." He walked out onto the veranda and dialed before yelling at whoever picked up.

Leopold couldn't help watching in amusement. 'Maybe this one won't be so bad to have around.' He thought as Christian screamed when his phone call was disconnected.