Story Time

Christian's take on a fairy-tale story.

Jessie's children are enjoying a shadow puppet show performed and narrated by Roger and Jacob.

"El chupacabra stalks his prey until the right moment presents itself. And then, he pounced!"

There's snarling and growling accompanied by a goat's cries for help.

The shadowy characters scuffle with one another before the goat shadow fell flat as the el chupacabra shadow devours it.

When the story ended, the children cheered.

Behind the scenes, Christian watched with unbelieving eyes. "How in the world?"

Sarah chuckled. "Those two are a tough act to follow. But I'm sure you'll do fine."

Jacob and Roger approached them. "That story never gets old. Let's see if you can top that." Roger challenged him.

Jacob shook his head in amusement. "They're all warmed up for you."

Christian pouted before walking passed them. "Yeah. Yeah."

They laughed before joining the rest of the family to watch and sat next to Jason.

"Great job." He complimented them. Jacob and Roger smirked.

Ashley squealed in anticipation. "I've never heard a human's tale before. I can't wait to see what's in store for us."

Jason exhaled. "He's been practicing all week long for this. I never knew vampires mastered shadow puppetry."

"It's a skill they learn to entertain people. Plus there was no cable and internet back then so." Sarah explained before the lights dimmed.

"Everyone, presenting young Christian's take on Little Red Riding Hood." Troy announced as everyone clapped.

The silhouette of a young girl wearing a cape emerged. "Little Red Riding Hood is happily skipping through the woods when a big, bad, wolf greeted her."

"Where are you heading, little girl?" Christian's narrated voice turned into a deep one as a shadowy wolf popped in front of her.

"I'm going to visit my grandmother. She caught a cold, and I thought I could pay her a visit." Little Red Riding Hood spoke in a falsetto voice.

His family could only stare at the screen blankly. "Um, no offense, but this is boring." Ashley whispered.

"Wait for it." Jason whispered back.

"How about picking some of those field flowers over there? I'm sure your grandmother will love them. The wolf suggested."

"What a wonderful idea. Little Red hummed merrily as she went to pick flowers, and the wolf disappears with an evil smirk on his face."

In the next scene, Little Red Riding Hood made it to her grandmother's cottage. The shadowy girl knocked on the front door. "Grandma, It's me, Red. I got flowers and soup for you."

"Come in. A voice emanated from within." And when Red entered, she gasped. "Grandma, you look awful." she said to the elderly figure lying in bed.

"Red, darling. How nice of you to visit me." "Grandma,what happened to your voice?" "Hoarse from the flu." "And your eyes got bigger." "Eye surgery darling."

"Oh for the love of." Sarah and Jessie jabbed Roger in the ribs to silence him. "Wait a minute. You aren't my grandmother." "Clearly." Roger winced as Jessie pinched his arm.

The wolf laughed as he removed his disguise. "You caught me, and now I shall have you for dinner." he laughed manically before a shadowy figure came out of nowhere and whacked him with a broomstick.

"Bad dog. This is for locking me in the closet, and trying to eat my granddaughter" an elderly woman's voice spoke as she kept whacking him on the head.

"Quit it lady. Ouch." the wolf complained before running around in circles with the real grandmother chasing him.

"Get him grandma! Get him!" Little red is egging her on. This scene made the children laugh as the adults chuckled.

"Only Christian." Sarah said.

Jason rolled his eyes. "Imagine him doing this everyday with different voices. I'm impressed he didn't lose his voice."

The shadow wolf ran away as grandma and red jumped up and down victoriously, and the kids applauded.

When Christian finished, Roger and Jacob were waiting for him. "Not bad for your first story, but ours will always be the best." Roger said smugly.

Christian rolled his eyes. "Whatever. I'm just glad it worked out in the end. My hands are cramping."

They snorted. "That's cause you're a rookie." Jacob pointed out. "And you better prepare yourself for the next show coming up next month."

"In father's words, "Good grief."" he did his best impersonation of his father Calvin making them laugh hard.