83

A cigar was lit between his fingers as he stared out the window. He drew in the swing and filled his lungs as he gazed upon at the maze.

There was a little knock on the door before it quietly opened. Ameo already knew who it was.

Alina had become bolder lately by entering his office without his permission. She had been acting strangely around him, craving his attention. What was she trying to achieve?

"Master." Her tone of voice was soft, perhaps even seductive.

"What do you want?" Ameo didn't take his eyes off of the maze.

Her hands touched his muscled back, travelling up to his broad shoulders. Only his white shirt hindered her from touching his bare skin.

"You don't seem to be in a good mood, and I'd do anything to reduce it."

"Is that so?"

The disinterest in his voice was obvious. But she ignored it and let her heart flutter to that. Finally, finally, he was paying attention to her.

"Yes, anything for you."

"So tell me, why is metolla so thin?"

Her hands stiffened against his shoulders. He hadn't once turned around to look at her, and she wasn't sure if she wanted that to happen.

"Has she eaten at least three meals like I had ordered?"

Alina slowly withdrew her hands in fear of facing his wrath.

"Alina!"

His voice was filled with venom and limitless rage. She flinched away. Nearing him at the moment would be a death sentence, that man wasn't afraid to kill anyone that displeased him.

He had already figured out that she was the one who ordered the other workers to starve Blair by giving her a small portion of food once every two days.

She swallowed hard; she has been working here for a decade, she could take that to her advantage. "Sir. I know that I'm not supposed to do that, but she deserved it. She was the one that broke your trust. I saw the way you treated her, it was like you could give up everything for her, but she showed her appreciation by sleeping with other—"

"Shut up, Alina."

His sharp tone quickly silenced her.

"Who are you to take vengeance on my behalf?"

Her gaze fell to the floor, silent.

"I know why you are doing this, Alina." His eyes still on the maze, the cigar inhaled seemed to piss him off the most. "I know the way you look at metolla whenever she isn't looking."

Alina jerked her head up, his back was still facing her. "But I—"

"I'll tell you this, Alina. Just because we have fucked over the years doesn't mean you have every right to do anything without my permission. You mean nothing to me in that department."

Her clasped hands trembled as she tried to keep herself steady.

"Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Leave my presence."

Not once did he look at her as she left his office with anger and hatred toward Blair as tears welled up in her eyes.

Despite everything she did, Ameo still cared about that bitch. Not once looking her way. Alina stooped so low to even ask and 'befriend' Belladonna for help in sending anonymous letters that she herself had written. She had gone as far as making a copy of the customised design of Blair's dress and sending it to Belladonna. And hired someone that had similar physical attributes to Blair in order to destroy the trust Ameo had for her.

But everything was now ruined, he still had his interest in her in his own sick and twisted way.

She didn't mind him sleeping with other women over the years because she knew they would be temporary. He never brought them here in his private mansion, but took them to his other properties.

But then came Blair, she could enter his personal mansion, not only that, she was permitted to live on the third floor and his very own bed that was in a secret fourth floor.

Alina wanted revenge because she noticed that despite the things Ameo had to Blair, he still watched over her well-being in a way. If only she could get Ameo to turn against Blair more, even to the point of hatred and cruel brutality.

Then, opportunity came when Blair suddenly confided in her. It has been a few days since Alina had that talk with Ameo, and today was her turn to serve Blair her food.

She entered Blair's room. It was dark inside, Ameo had already blocked the balcony just in case she tried to escape from there.

Alina watched her silently, she was happy that Blair was treated like a prisoner. At least Blair wasn't thinking like she was better than her.

Then suddenly, Blair spoke. "Alina, h-how many months h-has it been?" Blair asked, staring out the balcony, imagining seeing an open green field with a clear blue sky again.

"How many months has what been?" Alina eyes her suspiciously. Why was she talking now?

"S-since everything st-started going b-bad?"

"Soon three... months." It was strange to talk to Blair. It has been a while since she spoke, so why now?

Blair chuckled and tears welled up in her eyes. "Will I-I ever be able to leave?"

"I..." Alina stopped herself, not knowing what to say because she knew that would be impossible, especially for Blair.

Blair turned to Alina with tears running down her cheeks. "Alina..."

"Blair..." She walked over to her, wrapping her arms stiffly around Blair as she wept.

"You h-have to help me."

"What? How? You're not able to leave this place, even if we do succeed, what if he finds out that we–"

"He will not find out, he better not find out. If h-he does, I will be stuck here."

"But–"

Blair clenched Alina's arm and looked her in the eyes. "No buts, you must find a way."

"But you might lose your life."

"It's better than being in this hellhole. I-I'm already dying, why not just speed up the process." A bitter smile was on her lips.

Alina nodded. "Alright, I'll see what I can do." Finally, she had something that would remove any kind of interest Ameo has for Blair.