Ch. 24 - Jaiden's Worth (5)

█████████

█████████

After fighting in the Great Troll Defense, the 4th years still had to fight a few more battles.

The trolls' raid had breached the safety zone leaving their academy wide open. This meant that monsters would push in and launch an attack from time to time.

The Command's knights had been fighting crazily but their defense was still breached. The medium monsters were still able to get past their defense and attack the area where the 3rd year academy was located.

But this time, the situation was unlike that of the fight against large monsters. This time, the 4th year students were able to support the knights. Their strength was more than helpful enough to deal with the medium monsters.

The students suffered from some casualties during the process but fortunately there were no deaths among them. This was in fact the result of the professors and the knights' hard work. They did their best and did whatever they had to do just so no student would die under their watch. Even if they had to die in the process.

"Everyone, salute!"

Everyone saluted under the roar of the Command's Knight Order commander.

They were all saluting the coffins that contained the bodies of those who sacrificed and laid victim to the fierce battle that they had fought.

Many of the knights, rangers and soldiers that were dispatched from Command either suffered from heavy injuries or worse died. And right now, they were paying their respects to those who had sacrificed themselves for them.

This was also the reason why they couldn't celebrate and be happy even though they had successfully stopped the monsters' invasion.

War would always leave a bitter feeling. And the same was true for the battles that he fought and would fight in this life.

Those that were left behind would always be saddened by the death of their comrades. But they would forget about them. They couldn't afford to be tied to their past forever. After all, monsters continued to flock endlessly and the battles that they needed to fight were still a lot.

And the situation that they were facing right now was the embodiment of this. For them to stop the endless flock of monsters, they had to hide the sadness brought about by their comrades' death deep in their hearts to fight and stop these monsters from killing more.

"You can now disperse."

One of the professors ordered the dispersion of the students as he personally brought the coffins of his fallen comrades in the transport carrier that would be carried away by the drakes.

However, the students remained to send off the dead instead of dispersing right away.

Experiencing the death of someone dear and close to them for the first time brought shock to the children. They had warned them that it would be dangerous in this place but this was the first time for them to witness so many people dying. The situation was still slowly sinking in on them.